Coyotes on the streets of San Francisco

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/27/coyotes-on-the-streets-of-san.html

7 Likes

wow, what an amazing photo. nature adapts so quickly!

8 Likes

I see Coyotes in Chicago on the lakefront from time to time. Raccoons directly in the downtown Loop area, with regularity.

5 Likes

The mountain lions getting bolder in Boulder.

33 Likes

I mean, I would see coyotes on the streets at night in central Portland even before the quarantine. I know a lot of people who have lost cats to them.

9 Likes

I ran into Coyotes at least 3 times on the Greenwich Street steps/Pathway when I lived in North Beach and Russian Hill. And I visited there very infrequently.

edit: and go for a run at 5am down Broadway between Bay and the tunnel. I had about a 90% chance of seeing a gang of raccoons. And they arent easily spooked either.

4 Likes

I knew people in the suburbs of a major midwest city that had a black bear show up. Deer, coyotes, mountain lions, these are small change :wink:

3 Likes

Earth Abides is a 1949 post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer George R. Stewart. It tells the story of the fall of civilization from deadly disease and its rebirth. The story was set in the United States in the 1940s in Berkeley, California and told by a character, Isherwood Williams, who emerges from isolation in the mountains to find almost everyone dead.

9 Likes

I first saw a coyote in Boston about ten years ago. I thought “good, maybe they’ll take care of all the turkeys and geese everywhere.”

6 Likes
6 Likes

Last year I went by my office at CCSF to grab something on the first day of Spring Break and found that coyotes were already roaming the campus in daylight hours.

13 Likes

It’s the whole fam damily!

(junior is almost hidden in the right side of the photo)

13 Likes

The animals are all thinking: “it’s about time those guys got lost”

10 Likes

As an SF resident, I can tell you that this is only slightly bolder than they already were. I’ve had one walk lazily past me no more than a few yards away on several occasions.

5 Likes

It’s amazing seeing all the wildlife coming down into places where they weren’t before. Boars, deer, mountain lions, coyotes, dolphins in Venice (where the canals are suddenly running crystal clear)…

I suddenly started seeing them along a nearby creek in the middle of urban San Jose a couple years ago. They hadn’t ventured this far into the city during the last 50 years, and probably not for at least a century…

8 Likes

I know here they are foxes roaming the city, but I love Prodigy and miss Keith Flint. Plus the vid is awesome.

4 Likes

You beat me to it :smiley:

I remember reading that in the late 1980s. It didn’t really feel that 1940s to me. If you ignored the part where he had to wait for the radio in the car to warm up I probably wouldn’t have noticed that it wasn’t present day. Of corse now it doesn’t dwell on how much he misses his smart phone and how quickly it became useless without an internet…or maybe as an even bigger change some electric things would be useful far far longer with the amount of solar available.

2 Likes

One of my favorite books!

Those deer are wandering about trying to find all the people who used to feed them in the parks. They aren’t all that wild. The dolhpins in Venice story is fake.

3 Likes