Crashed computer at Oslo pizzeria reveals covert facial recognition scheme

I suspect that there would be some excellent ways to use the “ethnicity detection” feature to get yourself into trouble by picking on protected classes; but my (admittedly layman’s) understanding is that, to the degree that video recording and photography are regulated at all, there is no distinction between “eh, gets dumped to a tape somewhere and forgotten about unless somebody asks for surveillance tapes to follow up on something specific” and “is crunched as intensely as technology allows”.

With the exception of the jurisdictions with laws aimed at upskirt photographers; and some potential IP issues if you make excessively visible use of footage without doing rights clearance; regulation is pretty much entirely just of whether recording is legal or not; typically with the implicit assumption that public cameras are mostly for boring security stuff; but no actual requirements.

1 Like

Me, too.

I’ve never been to Norway, but I was friends with 14 Norwegian students (if you’re friends with one, you’re friends with all) at a CSU I attended during the 80’s. They were far from reserved, although their personalities did vary. Some were outrageously loud and some were quieter. The only common denominator was their capacity to party and enjoy life.

Without facial recognition, how will I know which pizza will like me?

1 Like

As i said before, my impression for any reserved interactions had more to do in a standard public setting. Like commuting. People tended to be really low key and wouldn’t interact with others the same way an American would in a similar situation. When my Swedish friend visited me in Austin she was amused and confused why strangers kept saying hi to her or asking how she was doing.

I don’t talk with anyone while commuting by public transit, and it’s definitely the norm to not make small talk. There are exceptions though. When stranded at a train station due to winter weather, for example, people will talk amongst themselves.

I don’t talk to anyone either, but it’s not uncommon here in the US while making your way to somewhere that someone may engage in conversation or small talk. Granted you may see this anywhere in the world, my Venezuelan grandpa was notorious for chatting up everyone. But Americans have a particular way they will generally carry themselves around strangers.

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:39, topic:100828”]
There is the semantic problem that identification differs from re-cognition - especially when there is arguably no cognition happening in the first place. It is “simple” pattern-matching. Then there is also the deeper (and extremely unpopular) philosophical problem of to what extent individual identity even exists, as most like to conceive of it.[/quote]

I guess I was somewhat confused by your statement that it did not perform “actual facial recognition”. Not sure what that statement meant beyond the rhetorical questions of cognition and identity in the grand, philosophical sense.

There does in fact, seem to be actual recognition happening in that the technology is performing advanced operations beyond just simple pattern-matching. I don’t believe that accurate, real-time facial scanning with demographic data and interpretation of gaze and expression is considered a ‘simple’ task in CS circles. It sounds quite hard as a matter of fact.**

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:39, topic:100828”]
especially when there is arguably no cognition happening in the first place.[/quote]

Oh I disagree. Maybe not cognition in the human “wet-ware” sense but there are many different types of cognition. It can be argued that AI is a form of cognition - one that has been designed for a specific purpose and dedicated tasks. Learning algorithms that adapt to constantly changing datasets without programmer intervention can easily be classified as ‘cognitive’. They might lack general-purpose adaptability but they do “learn” in the classic sense of the word.

I think you made some great points in Cory’s recent post on superhuman AI and agree with most of your positions. We may just be arguing semantics though. Whether it’s called ‘intelligence’ or some other word that strips the concept from human-centric ideals, I do think we’ve made some significant advancements in making computers “smart” - ie: adaptable, as opposed to just really fast calculators.

Agreed. It looks like CLI output of log data and certainly not code. Still interesting to see the kind of tags that are captured. I’m curious about the accuracy and aggregation of data. If a Norwegian pizza shop can afford these kinds of advertisements then it seems that Blade Runner and Minority Report are just around the corner for all of us.

**(I’m particularity interested in this topic as it is directly relevant to my master’s thesis that I’m currently in the middle of. I’ve been doing a lot of research in this area lately.)

2 Likes

You can also see that what appears to have crashed the system was lack of attention by young male.

1 Like

“We see a future where Delta agents will be freed up to seek out travelers and deliver more proactive and thoughtful customer service.”

LOL

Will this mean more (or less) beatings and kicking off of planes?

2 Likes

The beatings will continue and I’m guessing that you won’t be able to check in if you are wearing a hijab or burka.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.