Cringeworthy 1988 pantyhose ad cruelly depicts office worker personas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/15/cringeworthy-1988-pantyhose-ad-cruelly-depicts-office-worker-personas.html

Who was this made for? This seems like an employee training video more than an ad. It’s horseshit either way, but I can’t imagine this was an ad.

7 Likes

So… essentially all women in the workplace are unintelligent, unmotivated and, if they demand performance from their team are uncooperative? Unless there is a follow-up video demonstrating the “right” way for women to behave in the workplace that I can only assume involves plenty of cleavage and “working late with the boss”.

On the other hand, I can’t fault anyone for trying to use whatever techniques might have given them a leg up in such a misogynistic environment.

9 to 5 GIF by Dolly Parton

3 Likes

Yeah, I think whoever posted this video got a false positive by the use of the word “sheer”. It looks to me like a video someone might show at the start of a vocal coaching workshop. It definitely wasn’t an ad. The part missing as @cannibalpeas points out is the “and we’re now going to show you how to avoid being one of these archetypes that will hurt your career.” Which I expect would have been done by the live coach, the video taking over the role of being the “bad cop” so that the seminar leader can be more sympathetic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.