Crooks install skimmer on point-of-sale machine in 2 seconds

Needs more belt buckle

11 Likes

That’s his Bluetooth detector.

9 Likes

Just an interesting aside. Here’s whose running for Texas Ag commissioner now (in charge of weights and measures among other things).

She’s flipping amazing!

5 Likes

To make a big belly look smaller?

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Embrace the Dad Side, and you will become more powerful than you can imagine!

15 Likes

From 1993:

“Authorities said three men posing as representatives of a New Jersey financial services company coaxed managers of the Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester, Conn., into letting them install an ATM machine near the entrance to a department store in the mall.”

Back in the good ol’ days scammers had to put in some work.

1 Like

I thought it was center-of-mass armor protection?

Sounds like a job for a continuously running detection phone app in gas stations/convenience stores, with an option to fake a skimmer and play a sound when it’s accessed. (Naturally there’d be an arms-race between the skimmer and app developers…)

2 Likes

Sid Miller of Texas, what a clown who doesn’t care about anything related to his job unless it’s cows.

4 Likes

You poor man. How you can even summon the wherewithal to comment on a blog today is nothing short of miraculous!
:rofl: Hang in there, Pops!

2 Likes

Not really possible yet in the US - especially with pay-at-the-pump card readers since the deadline for EMV compliance for fuel stations has been pushed back again to October 2020.

Customer I worked with recently estimated it would cost $15k-$25k per pump to upgrade to chip readers (this merchant has over 2400 locations nationally with an average of 15 pumps per station. That’s almost a billion dollars just to upgrade).

Until chip+pin is universally deployed, the best advice is to never use Debit. Always choose credit as you are not liable for any fraudulent transactions and thieves cannot drain your bank account.

1 Like

So there’s someone in there handing out a finite number of twenties, just collecting debit card numbers and PINs?

Well, it’s true I didn’t see any cables coming out of it…

1 Like

Nope, once you plant the skimmer, you want to remotely harvest cards out of it until the batteries die. If you sell each card for $10, and you get 100 cards in an average day, every extra day nets you an extra grand. But you do everything remotely - if you get caught while tearing it off, it’s jail. If you tear it off early, you lose money. So you never want to touch the skimmer again, or even acknowledge its existence. Bluetooth lets your phone automatically reap the spoils from a safe distance.

1 Like

really it is the ultimate carnival game for adults!!!

…fuck, if you are taking out cash at a carnival then it is already being stolen, the main difference is one set of crooks isn’t giving you a $0.10 stuffed animal made in a sweat shop and a few pennies worth of fried dough as a funnel cake.

carnivals are basically money vacuums and don’t even pretend to be otherwise these days…

2 Likes

Get yourself a gas card. Like shell or exxon/mobil. Or both. Keep limit at / or under $300.00. Pay off end of each month. Get alerts when charge is made. Most places, they can be used inside store as well if needs be.

2 Likes

You’d think scammers would use something believable like “Exxon_wifi_repaircheck”, but I wouldn’t put it past them to use something like “gettin_mad_ca$h!”.

3 Likes

I think I’d disguise it as a printer, “HP-Printer-90-Deskjet-BT” or something. Seems like no matter where I am in my city I can always find a printer (on wifi at anyway); I bet it’d take a while for them to suss it out :B

3 Likes

Just want to point out the video is two years old. In my suburban area, chip readers have become the norm, although not quite universal. All the cards in my wallet are chipped. I don’t think this would be nearly as lucrative a scheme today as it might have been even two years ago.

Maybe it’s not for everyone, but in our household we simply eschew debit cards, since credit cards (in the US, by law) offer users far more financial protection. This is a pity because debit cards are, in theory, so smart.

Or it just says “Unable to complete transaction – card confiscated for security purposes”.

Better yet, it displays it on the screen!

It beats “NO_FREE_FUCKIN_WIFI” I saw whilst in the pediatrician’s waiting room.

2 Likes