CrossOver lets Mac users run Windows programs seamlessly — and it’s $20 now

Originally published at: CrossOver lets Mac users run Windows programs seamlessly — and it's $20 now | Boing Boing

Does it work with M1 macs?

I don’t have first-hand experience with m1 macs, but it looks to be. You want to check the specific app you’re looking to run (I think they do have a trial). Crossover works differently than other approaches. Instead of working at the (Intel) processor level, Crossover implements the calls to Windows and “translates” them to calls to macOS. This lends itself to working on non-Intel chips, you don’t need a copy of Windows, etc.

I used it at a previous job years ago. I think we were running Outlook or Quicktime Player in Linux.

2 Likes

So it’s more like WINE than a VM?

1 Like

Yep. It’s actually based on WINE.

1 Like

First, you mean macOS, not iOS, and second, that’s a dirty lie.

CrossOver, however, works fine if the application you need to run passes the Compatibility | CrossOver Mac and Linux | CodeWeavers list. Games, with their particular GPU requirements, are trickier than most apps. Get it if you need to run something it supports well.

1 Like

Sooo…with this help Windows malware run on my computer, all without needing to have Windows? :thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.