Crowdfunding a visit from the 180,000lb Temple of Gravity at this year's Burning Man

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/29/15000lb-granite-slabs.html

3 Likes

moving tons of mass with pounds of force.
My better sense requires me to pass on that offer.

4 Likes

I know that Happy Mutants like to take responsibility for themselves, but this looks like a good way to run someone who wasn’t paying attention over with a rock the size of a VW bus.

See how far that gets you.__

They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live.

I remember learning in high school physics that a satellite in orbit weighs nothing at all, but it still has enough mass it would take a strong push to move it at all. I was so surprised I still remember that image.

I’m not commenting on the safety of this sculpture, but this whole discussion about imparting energy to a high-mass object with lower than usual resistance made me flash back to Heinlein

Castor became impatient and suggested that they give the line another tug. His father shook his head. Hazel added "I saw a green hand at the space station try to hurry a load that way. Steel plate, it was."

“What happened?”

“He had started it with a pull, he thought he could
stop it with a shove. They had to amputate both legs
but they saved his life.”

1 Like

You pay your money, you take your chances.

edit after waiver signed of all liability … *

Best of luck to you, you deep-pocketed dreamers!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.