VFX artist demonstrates just how big SpaceX rockets are

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/27/vfx-artist-demonstrates-just-h.html

4 Likes

Cherry picking. The Statue of Liberty is only about 20 stories tall. Big for a statue built 130 years ago.

The Chrysler Building would be a better visual in either case.

5 Likes

…So the solution to the difficulty of grasping the size of an object that is seen in isolation is to show it next to ANOTHER object that is seen in isolation. So, yeah, you’re right. OTOH these are BIG. And although only briefly touched on in the film, they are FAST.

4 Likes

It’s always a contest isn’t it?

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered why everything big has to be compared to the Statue of Liberty. I’ve never seen it. Most people in the world (and probably even the USA) haven’t seen it.

1 Like

I’ve seen the Status of Liberty from Manhattan. It looks quite small. I’ve also seen the one in Paris close up, and that’s quite large. As tall things go, though, both are quite teeny. What about the Burj Khalifa?

1 Like

Yep, the Eiffel Tower makes it look like a toy.

7 Likes

And - the Chysler Building looks more like a rocket :grinning:

2 Likes

They’re trying to avoid showing it next to the Saturn V. Which was 51 years ago and still bigger. And only slightly smaller than where they hope to be.

Kinda undercuts their whole marketing plan about how cutting edge they are when someone is still surpassing you from your grandparents time - and they did it with slide rules.

Sell the sizzle.

7 Likes

Haven’t seen that either. Put it next to the grand Teton or in Yosemite valley. I’ve climbed those and am intimately familiar with their scale.

1 Like

To be fair - those aren’t man made. May as well put it next to the sun.

2 Likes

Awesome, do it.

1 Like

It’s right there next to it.

You may have to squint a bit.

7 Likes

If you squint you can just make out our sun!

9 Likes

Well, to be fair, I think it’s actually pretty damn nifty that the BFR is only slightly larger than the Saturn V, since it’s meant to colonise Mars rather than take a little jaunt over to the Moon.

That’s some good packaging.

1 Like

The Saturn V could reach Mars.

2 Likes

You’re the best.

2 Likes

Falcon hawk, those merlin-falconer rockets are falcon large!

2 Likes

Your perspicacity is appreciated.

1 Like

Hey, cool.

How much payload though? And could it come back?