Crowfunded prize for first open jailbreak of Ios 7

[Permalink]

They are very smart birds.

2 Likes

‘Crooooow!’

I’m all for Open Source in most areas and contribute code to several open source projects, but this seems like a really bad idea to me and has me questioning if this isn’t being funded by apple themselves to squash future jailbreaks.

I like the idea of a prize for the first freely available jailbreak, but making it open source is handing over a road map to the people in charge of stopping jail breaking of all the places they need to patch to prevent jailbreaking, hence shooting the jailbreak community in the foot. Granted apple has engineers that can reverse most jailbreak code enough to find these most of these things themselves, but with great effort and some delay. why make their job easier and undermine the jailbreaking community?

I’m not sure the people behind this really thought it through. Maybe these people’s hearts are in the right place, but their brains are not. meh…but what do i know?

1 Like

Eh, any jailbreak of iOS is temporary at best. If iOS was the only game in town, I might understand why people fight the fight, but it isn’t. If you want an OS you can own, just grab a Nexus device and slap whatever operating system you want on top of it. I think it is far more productive to put your money where your mouth is and buy an open devices like a Nexus, then it is fight for the privilege of shelling out money to a corporation that is extremely hostile to giving up control.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, I just got (a) an unsolicited e-mail announcing this, followed by (b) an e-mail (signed by someone else) apologizing for having bothered us with that.

Someone apparently needs a bit of education about proper use of teh innerwebz.

Me, I’m excited by the Jolla more than anything on the horizon right now :smile:
Meanwhile, my only iOS device has been gathering dust for at least six months now. Sixteen kinds of lame, it really is.

I used to jailbreak, ever since I bought the original iPhone, but I’ve found that with iOS7 I’ve no longer any need to do so. Still, I support jailbreaking as a matter of principle. However @redesigned is right: only a fool would open source the vulnerabilities that allows the jailbreak because that guarantees they will be fixed in the very next point version rather than having a longer life. The jailbreak community is notoriously hard on insiders who leak exploits for this very reason.

1 Like

i agree that ios7 is much better in a lot of ways and i like it.

if apple allowed bluetooth mice on the iPad i wouldn’t need to jailbreak either. I can’t get any real coding done at a coffee shop on the ipad without a keyboard and mouse though. apple allows keyboards, which is nice, but having to press hold drag release for copy and paste sucks and is dark ages bs. touch screen copy and paste is 1000x slower then pinpoint accurate mouse select keyboard copy and paste.

the iPad with the zagfolio case and BTStack w/ a Magic Mouse is a killer ultralight laptop alternative for when you are on the go. The mouse works brilliantly with iOS everywhere i’ve tried it. The only reason apple doesn’t allow mouse support is they don’t want to hurt their mac air sales. boo hiss apple.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.