Crows hold "funerals" for their dead and this very weird experiment revealed why

I’d go with ‘inquest’ or ‘safety meeting’…

6 Likes

cutbacks…? :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes…

4 Likes

They remember faces and the other person would be branded as a crow killer. They also have a pretty big range so get hassled by the crows till you move out of town by a fair bit.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I knew I had incorporated this into what I know (or think I know) about corvids some time ago, but couldn’t place it.

2 Likes

That’ll teach him not to caw while he’s eating.

2 Likes

I don’t think the experiment revealed why, but corvids are always interesting. My farmer relatives have always said they are smarter than most humans.

1 Like

An OSH of crows. I like it.

2 Likes

well, maybe you’ll get lucky. i just hope it doesn’t end in a lawsuit from your neighbors.

6 Likes

as a snowboarder, i resemble that remark.

2 Likes

Oh, Fran-Crow!

:wink:

2 Likes

Well it is only the 3 and I don’t put out a huge amount of kibble. I am not regular about it either so it isn’t inviting hordes of them over.

2 Likes

I must be a crow cuz that’s the scariest shit i’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Why not both

2 Likes

This is still a goal of mine.

2 Likes

hopefully they don’t spread the word!

2 Likes

Yep. The local crows congregate and roost at the UW branch campus north of Seattle. We live near one of the ‘flyways’ so when I saw a young man don a ski mask at our neighborhood park one evening, our exchange went something like this, “Hi, studying the crows?” “Yes.” “Have a good evening.” “Thanks, you too.”

6 Likes

They’re probably at the funeral to say “Hey, can I have your stuff”

4 Likes

…ssshhhhhh…they’re watching me…

I just changed the oil in my car, all the while with a Murder of Crows watching from a big Elm in the neighbor’s yard. “ACKKK! ACKKK! Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey! ….dumbass.…”

I wonder how the original term was selected. Maybe researchers noticed a lot of crows gathered around a body, staring at one crow standing alone…

4 Likes