Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

So, we’re tops for bitcoin mining AND money laundering… but I repeat myself…

5 Likes

I made a joke about bitcoin default swaps a week ago.

“ Case in point: it’s now a thing to take out a loan and offer up an NFT as collateral. Take NFTFi, a peer-to-peer lending platform described by Coindesk as a “pawn shop for NFTs.”

“ NFTFi told Coindesk it had done over $12 million in volume since its launch in June 2020, with an average loan size of $26,000 and as high as $200,000. As you might expect, crypto-loans backed by JPEGs on the blockchain come with some risk for both parties. Default rates are just shy of 20 percent, the platform told Coindesk. Sometimes, that comes with some pain.”

4 Likes

Why the everloving fuck would anyone accept a NFT (or anything crypto-related) as a collateral?

5 Likes

futurama rage GIF

1 Like

The old, “I want to get in on this scam on the ground floor” reasoning?

3 Likes

All the cool kids are doing it!

2 Likes

Trading Monopoly money for quatloos.

2 Likes

Yet again, Cream Finance skimmed by crooks: $130m in crypto assets stolen

Third time’s the unlucky charm for loan outfit

https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/28/cream_ethereum_theft/

Decentralized finance biz Cream Finance became further decentralized on Wednesday with the theft of $130m worth of crypto assets from its Ethereum lending protocol.

Cream (cream.finance and not creamfinance.com) reported the loss via Twitter, the third such incident for the loan platform this year.

[…]

3 Likes

They should keep that buried in a coffee can in the backyard. Or under their mattress

1 Like

Did they even watch Squid Game before doing this?

4 Likes
11 Likes

Shocked Futurama GIF

6 Likes

Buy on the dip!

6 Likes

Cashing out is stealing? Isn’t that why folk speculate on cryptocurrency in the first place?

ETA: after actually reading the article (I know, right) yeah this had scam all over it

3 Likes

It’s pretty much a take on the old penny stock pump and dump.

6 Likes

Should have used blockchain! /s

3 Likes

(Swiped from Rob Beschizza)

2 Likes

Gang assaults founder of social network Tuenti in his Madrid home in apparent attempt to steal bitcoin fortune

American entrepreneur Zaryn Dentzel told police he was in his apartment with a technician when the assailants forced their way in, injuring him in the chest in a bid to get hold of his passwords

2 Likes
8 Likes