Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

As the company explained in a blog postannouncing the project last month:

We will make the 14.545” cube, it will weight approximately 2,000 pounds. This NFT represents a real-world physical cube that will be stored at Midwest Tungsten Service headquarters and owned by the NFT owner. One visit to see/photograph/touch the cube per calendar year will be allowed and scheduled with a Midwest Tungsten Service representative. Unlockable content required for scheduling and proof of ownership required for entry. The cube will be stored in a room of its own that will be locked and only accessible by the NFT owner.

Subsequent owners of the NFT cannot visit the cube in a year in which the cube has already been visited. The cube will not be available to view until 12 weeks after the first sale. Burning the NFT will result in shipment to the most recent owner via freight truck, owner will be responsible for alerting Midwest Tungsten Service of the intention to burn and transport after freight drop-off.

1 Like

2Hez

3 Likes

What’s the blob it’s being absorbed into?

Not sure. My best guess is some sort of putty/paste with iron filings (or something like that) mixed in.
Possibly one of those non-Newtonian concoctions.

2 Likes

Dirty gelatinous cube?

5 Likes

One of many sources

3 Likes

Screaming Dying Inside GIF

7 Likes
9 Likes
2 Likes

22-year-old Brit accused of Twitter SIM-swap heists charged with $784k cryptocurrency theft

He’s in Spain, faces extradition to the US to stand trial

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/04/joseph_oconnor_uscharges_sim_swap/

A Briton accused of carrying out SIM-swapping attacks to compromise high-profile Twitter users’ accounts has been charged with stealing $784,000 in cryptocurrency.

[…]

2 Likes

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

140 million Chinese punters adopt Digital Yuan and spend up big

But central bank worries about security, usability – and business continuity
https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/05/digital_yuan_140m_wallets/

140 million digital wallets capable of storing China’s central bank digital currency – the Digital Yuan or E-CNY – have already been issued to individuals, and another ten million businesses have signed up too.

So said Mu Changchun, director of the Digital Currency Research Institute of the People’s Bank of China, at an event in Hong Kong earlier this week. Those wallet-holders have already spent over ¥62 billion ($9.8B) with the 1.5 million merchants that have signed up to accept the digital currency.

But Mu also admitted that the People’s Bank of China is worried about the E-CNY’s security. He told the event that the Bank knows digital currencies will attract attention from criminals, so is working on encryption algorithms, data security, and business continuity plans.

[…]

On May 4, “Ethereum Classic” popped onto the trending section of my Twitter page. I narrowed my eyes and I laughed.

That’s the pre-fork Ethereum that was abandoned when a hacker found an exploit.

5 Likes

Notr quite sure this belongs here, because the gist of this radio series was that OneCoin was a bog standard pyramid scheme-- and not something that made use of a blockchain ledger.

3 Likes

/s

4 Likes

https://mintable.app/art/item/Justin-Bieber-Mockup-NFT-Art-Mockup-of-Justin-Bieber-Comic-Style/bKDf5oXzs13g6Q-

Good luck with that.

Thanks, I’ve listened to three episodes walking the dog so far. It’s very good.

Must admit I’d never heard of it. Sad how they focused on vulnerable people for their grift.

1 Like

The GPUs, the SSDs, and now, damnit!

Good thing I favor the high end threadrippers…

1 Like

The GPUs, the SSDs, and now, damnit - punchcards!

1 Like