Cult documentary "Hands on a Hardbody" is available again

Originally published at: Cult documentary "Hands on a Hardbody" is available again | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The TAM episode was also pretty good for those who don’t have time to watch the full documentary:

10 Likes

Awesome! I new about the broadway show but not the original documentary. I will be on the lookout for this.

2 Likes

I’m the proud owner of a 1997 Hardbody (AKA Nissan D21, Nissan Navara, Nissan Terrano, etc., etc.), 5-speed manual with the KA24E engine. Next month I’ll be getting an “antique vehicle” license plate for it, LOL.

11 Likes

Thank you!
I own this movie on VHS and just ordered it on DVD! be sure to NOT confuse with the broadway musical.

and you can buy directly from their website NOT amazon.
(great christmas present!)

5 Likes

Nor the adult film of the same name.

10 Likes

When I worked in a Film Library at University in the late 90’s people would come in to watch Films to study, but also just to kill time. I used to recommend watching this and Project Grizzly. I think the VHS copy of " Hands on Hardbody" got eaten in a deck years ago and never did get replaced. Good to see I can go back to recommending it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

TAM is so good in general – but I remember that episode so well that I need to go back and watch the movie because I’m not sure I ever saw the movie itself. But I feel like I have.

3 Likes

ignore - accidental double post

1 Like

UT alum here…saw it at dobie as well. It was probably the second best experience I had at the theater…

side note: the first was accidentally wandering late into a screening of El Mariachi and taking the only two seats open which was in the front row. At the end of the screening the lights come on and the guy one seat over stands up and it’s Robert Rodriguez and he starts talking. I had crashed some kind of special screening. Back then it wasn’t that big a deal though because he was just some dude that made a $7000 movie…

9 Likes

It gave me great joy to see that there were other Boing Boing readers (and writer!) who saw this at the Dobie in the late 90s. Tarantino (who once called this the best documentary every made) used to have movie screenings of some of his favorites at the the Alamo theater in the following years. I suspect some of you caught those as well. We might have been in the same room once but now older and in different places. Still a small world.

5 Likes

I wonder how hot the paintwork got in the Texan sun?

1 Like

Reminds me of They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?

I recall an old boss raving about it after having seen the pre-broadway musical in La Jolla. Made me wish I had seen it myself.

I remember it! And yes, its payoffs go way beyond its perhaps silly-sounding premise might seem to promise.

I’d guess anyone who likes American Movie would also like this one.

Bubble era Japan. Good times for cars, man. Good times. My lottery win list is loooooong.

So that’s where the idea came from, recalling a humorous Blacklist TV series episode with this win-a-truck challenge in it!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.