Culturally insensitive 1979 TV commercial for Faygo's Redpop, starring M*A*S*H star Jamie Farr

Namaste.

3 Likes

Personally I think this is a rare case where an ad hominen attack is completely appropriate. The only support given to the original quote was that Mary Daly said it. So arguing that Mary Daly has said a lot of questionable things in her life does in fact address the argument itself, rather than the usual side step of an ad hominen attack.

3 Likes

Regressive ideas don’t automatically enlumpened any other idea a person can generate as regressive.

We’re discussing an approach at inclusion, not discussing whether she was holistically on target.

The idea is what is important, not the source or “support” by itself. The quote was likely offered more due to the phrasing than an appeal to (false) authority.

The correct term for that style of sitting is: “Criss-Cross Applesauce”

10 Likes

My friends and I (and grownups, and teachers) all called it “Indian style” in the 70s. We were kids who watched Big Blue Marble and sang Kum Ba Yah unironically. Back then, I think we thought of it as almost enlightened, like we were sitting the way the wise Native Americans did. Yeah, I know. I feel embarrassed for my 7 year old self too.

3 Likes

Which is why ad hominen attacks are a fallacy.

I think the point is that 8675309 disagrees. As do I.

But of course the real issue is that I don’t seem to be able to find a place to buy a t-shirt that says “ENLUMPENED” across the front.

4 Likes

It’s generational. Most of the NA people my age or older use the word, not just like among one another but just talking to whites or non tribal folks.

Ten years from now we will all find out we’ve been a bunch of dicks and using some other word that’s fucked up that we aren’t aware of.

3 Likes

Sorry, don’t have time to research any counter to this right now, but I’m skeptical. Hasn’t the stereotype of an Arab (or other Middle Easterner) swinging a scimitar about and menacing a white person (ideally a damsel in distress) been a trope for a few hundred years?

2 Likes

That was just embarrassingly bad.
And racist too.

3 Likes

Insulting? Uh no, not insulting. Offensive and racist more like. To clarify, there is a big difference between a kilt and First Nations regalia. Regalia, meaning the war bonnet, is not just a “costume”. To wear the regalia when you have no right to wear it, when you are wearing it to hock soft drinks, to wear it in a commercial which ridicules cultures that are victims of genocide is offensive. First Nations people in contemporary American culture have been systematically ignored to the point that it seems that it is no big deal to continue to be insulting and to use racist terminology and stereotypes. It isn’t about being politically correct, its about being respectful. To put it another way, would you think it was “no big deal” if a white person were to wear black face to sell toothpaste? Because this is the same thing.

8 Likes

“HELLO I AM WHITE AND BEING CALLED CRACKER DOESNT BOTHER ME SO NOBODY SHOULD BE OFFENDED WHEN I CALL THEM NI”

Do you also “not see race”?

How about you just try to actually understand why people get offended before backpatting until you bruise?

8 Likes

It occurs to me that wearing something called a “war bonnet” to sell a soft drink gives a bit of a mixed message, never mind your other points.

1 Like

Originally they were worn during battle but they obviously haven’t been used that way for a long time. They are used ceremonially now and have a deeply spiritual meaning to the wearer and his community. You don’t just pick up a warbonnet at the costume shop for fun… you earn the right to wear it from your community. To wear it as a “costume” or as “fashion” is deeply offensive.

6 Likes

(and @milliefink beat me to the punch!)

4 Likes

He actually was of Lebanese descent, though.

Do you know what film that second image is from?

ETA: Sorry to repeat what’s already been said!

I think I’m confused by why you posted that?

1 Like

Call President Obama, tell him to FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!!

3 Likes

Seconded. Wth?

1 Like

I mean, Archie Bunker was super-racist with a point, right? He was representative of a mindset that was being questioned by Lear.

8 Likes

I assumed it was an answer to [quote=“Chesterfield, post:22, topic:82295, full:true”]
Is it possible to make racist humor that is also culturally sensitive?
[/quote]

But then, it wasn’t mean to be racist humor, was it? More pointing out how ridiculous racists were?

I never watched it, but I have seen the UK series it was based on, Till Death Us Do Part.

5 Likes