Video surfaces of Canadian Prime Minister in blackface

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/19/video-surfaces-of-canadian-pri.html

1 Like

This is going to bad for him, too bad he did a lot of good.

5 Likes

Xeni beat you to it, Rob:

6 Likes

Still not a deal breaker for Melania.

21 Likes

Au contraire, that was yesterday’s photo. They’re trickling the series out to hurt him as much as possible.

I’d take odds on him showing up tomorrow as Hitler, but it’s too depressing to contemplate.

28 Likes

Trump will finally respect him.

18 Likes

17 Likes

Reboing? Or maybe more of a expansion! But hey, we can have two threads full of people making excuses, right? :wink:

12 Likes

Question for BB audience: is there ever a situation where it is OK for a white person to put on brown/black makeup? Example: dressing as Mike Tyson for Halloween.

Enough already, Canada, please just bring back Rob Ford.

3 Likes

Apparently this is yet another piece of damning evidence, not the same one from yesterday.

So now we get two new threads for certain people to glibly act like ingrained bigotry is “no big deal.”

Easy answer:

If you even have to wonder, then you already have your answer.

18 Likes

No, with the exception being Robert Downing Jr. in “Tropic Thunder.”

5 Likes

AOC-nope

Just don’t do it. You want to play a famous person of color, YOU DON’T NEED TO PUT ON BLACKFACE TO DO IT. If you want to be Tyson, put on boxing shorts, gloves, a robe maybe… then carry around a severed ear made of candy that you nibble on all night… or have a stuffed pet pigeon (since Tyson likes to keep those). No blackface needed. OR… if you’re white, maybe DON’T dress up as a black person. There are literally THOUSANDS OF OPTIONS that do not include blackface in your fancy dress parties.

15 Likes

Possibly C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man, but definitely not Laurence Olivier in Othello (Oh Jeez that was distractingly bad)

6 Likes

Why would that suddenly make it ok? Are you trolling? Sad, if so.

2 Likes

Arguably acceptable situations for white people to put on blackface:

• In a context where an actor is portraying someone doing a racist blackface act (i.e., scenes from the period drama Boardwalk Empire, that bit from Tropic Thunder in which Robert Downey Jr. plays an actor too privileged and clueless to realize how offensive he is being)
  • In a parallel universe where white supremacy and Minstrel never existed

That’s pretty much all I got.

Also, if you want to be Mike Tyson for Halloween you don’t have to paint your face brown. You just need a pair of boxing gloves and a temporary tattoo.

21 Likes

Obligs:

And before any concerned sealions ask; yes, as a conscious Black woman, I’m ‘okay’ with the existence of that movie, RDJ’s role in it, and with posting this gif, because it makes a valid point about the importance of representation and the problem of marginalization.

Don’t forget the fake gapped teeth, and speaking with the requisite lisp.

22 Likes

Mmmmm… nah.

And with that, it looks like we have @Chuckles halloween costume sorted… You’re welcome!

10 Likes

#canceltrudeau

Though I’d never recommend it to anyone, I actually liked Soul Man, because as shitty as the whole entire premise of the movie was and is, the main character did actually learn something invaluable about racism at the end:

13 Likes