Culturally insensitive 1979 TV commercial for Faygo's Redpop, starring M*A*S*H star Jamie Farr

And I feel the second one is sort of step 0, whereas the first one can at least be counted as step one and built upon. Once some form of depiction is normalized, the characters can become deeper and more nuanced. Remember that period when even the very concept of being gay couldn’t be as much as mentioned in the media? And what that did to all the gay kids who as a result thought of themselves as solitary isolated freaks with no cultural precedent?

1 Like

No, that’s not what “we” were talking about.

That’s your point, and yours alone.

You are entitled to have your opinion, and I am entitled to decline to share it if I so choose.

1 Like

Well, what actually happened is that in a white supremacist society, they traded in their ethnicity in order to join the favored ones in the white club. [quote=“clifyt, post:28, topic:82295”]
Regardless, yeah…being treated at Rush Limbaugh’s more racist stupid cousin is pretty much the norm here for anyone that doesn’t tow the party line! I’m a pretty damn liberal person in real life, but here…yeah…
[/quote]

Ain’t it awful, having to put up with people who see things differently and have different opinions?

So you’re saying everyone here is further to the left than liberal? Well, wouldn’t that be nice!

5 Likes

Amen.

16 Likes

Why do you reply to me then?

1 Like

Well sitting like that isn’t something to be ashamed of so while some folks may object to the use of the name “Indian” for indigenous North Americans the activity isn’t an insult.

To “Indian Give” means to take back something you gave away, which is a thing that we consider a bad thing to do, so associating that behavior with an ethnicity is inherently racist.

Sorry if you knew this, but that wasn’t made clear in your post.

3 Likes

I’m sick of them hiring Lebanese and Persians to portray Native Americans.

That used to be out job!

2 Likes

*sigh

Scroll back up; you addressed me in reply to my comment to someone else.

I didn’t solicit your opinion; you offered it to me, and I simply don’t agree with it.

Such is life.

Have a nice day.

3 Likes

Ha.

It does seem worth pointing out tho that before the historically recent demonizing of Arab Americans, especially via the War on Terruh, they were part of the white club.

4 Likes

Did I ever say it was awful dealing with people that see things differently? No. I just don’t like being demonized because I also see things differently. For instance, this:

Pretty much stating that white people that are accepted are equivalized as white supremacists. Hey! You get along with others and you are less like your parents and more like the people surrounding you! When are the cross burnings! I gotta say, its statements like this that go towards my belief that this place is in a pretty heated battle of WHO IS MORE LIBERAL.

Either way, it gives me perspective when I’m sitting in the middle of Mike Pence land that I have to remember some of my friends are actually trying to be more progressive and I shouldn’t give them too much shit for not being where I am!

5 Likes

Truth!

I think I’m from a transitional period in my culture because I still hesitate before selecting “Caucasian” on any form and people younger than me don’t get why people my age or older ask “which parent is a Jew?” when people self-identify as Jewish.

1 Like

Sheesh, why so sensitive?

My comment didn’t “demonize” you, and it doesn’t say that in a white supremacist system, all white people themselves are itching to cross their town’s tracks to burn crosses on some black folks’ lawns.

But ya know, a lot of black people DO live “across the tracks,” in underfunded, decimated, over-policed communities that have always been neglected by the whiter ones around them. Hmm, sounds like a white supremacist society to me. Not that white liberals, who tend to think of racism instead in terms of individual behavior, like to grapple with such things.

3 Likes

It may be 100% true, however it is the phrasing. It is wording that isn’t there to promote discussion, but to come down from a higher moral space, in a sense to cause division with people that MOSTLY agree with you.

Its funny how stating that people live across the tracks being neglected by whites is a term used to prove that there is a moral divide. I live across the tracks…and when I mention this, there are groups of people that will then find it as a way to state whites that live across the tracks are simply cultural tourists. Which at this point, I just let the conversation die off because its obvious that there is a race to demonize.

I’m not sensitive about it, however I am sensitive to the implication others are trying to make…and I’m letting you know that you MAY have a better conversation if it wasn’t implied.

1 Like

Now you’re erring by making assumptions about me. I’m glad to promote discussion, but I also see no problem with describing the world as I see it. I’m not trying to cause division with white liberals; I’m just describing what I see as a difference between them and those further left on racial matters. As for trying to portray myself as being on some higher moral plane, no, that’s not at all my intention. Again, I’m just describing the world as I see it.

If what wasn’t implied? That I think you’re a cultural tourist? How am I supposed to know where you live?

1 Like

Criss-cross, applesauce.

3 Likes

You know, when I was a kid I thought “Indian giver” referred to the settlers breaking their agreements. As in giving to the Indians, and then taking it back again.

Yeah, I was a naive kid.

8 Likes

In German it’s called a Schneidersitz, or a tailor seat. And in French, it’s a la turque, or Turkish style.

And again, my naive Midwestern preteen me in the 1970s was trying to convince his friends that Indian seat meant Indians, you know, yoga and all that.

(Editiert wegen Tippfehler)

1 Like

Yeah siting Indian style wasn’t sure of subtext there.

2 Likes

Not bad.

How’s that pronounced?

Rhymes with “Snyder sits”.

You know, I now recall it being called sitting yoga style recently. Maybe Kid Me wasn’t so dumb after all!

4 Likes