Curious robotic syringe-in-a-pill completes successful human trial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/15/curious-robotic-syringe-in-a-p.html

4 Likes

That gas inflates the balloon, and the pressure of the inflating balloon pushes a dissolvable microneedle filled with a drug of choice into the wall of the intestines.
Human intestines lack sharp pain receptors, so the micro-shot is painless.

Really? so much for “Searing gas pain land”

3 Likes

two chemicals trapped on either side of the pinch point to mix and produce carbon dioxide.

Don’t they know that’s a greenhouse gas? Why do they hate polar bears?

3 Likes

Brainstorming for these types of swallowed solutions has to be fun!

“Ok, what else could we fit in the capsule?”

4 Likes

“OK, what other food can we hide the capsule in?”

I recall hearing about research on an inflatable balloon at the end of a catheter for angioplasty or stent installation, that, when inflated, poked a tiny needle into the artery to inject a drug that would help keep the artery open.

4 Likes

What is the use case for this device :interrobang:

6 Likes

Assassination?

3 Likes

Drugs that can’t make it through the stomach due to the highly acidic conditions, but need to be delivered to the GI tract. It’s a way to take it (efficiently) orally instead of (inefficiently) through IV.

5 Likes

deleted…

I can vouch that this is, at least mostly, a current practice. Family friend had the catheter enclosing the camera and balloons inserted into his arm directly to his heart. I think the baloons were inflated to bust the plaque blocking certain arteries? Or to widen the artery for the stint maybe.

3 Likes

You guys are reminding of a time when I completely and loudly cursed out a nurse while she was removing my catheter post op a few years ago. I think I scared her. I apologized after and we were cool but, damn, damn that was unpleasant.

4 Likes

Common practice for really narrow stenoses (narrowings of the artery) is to go in with a balloon, open it up, then go in with the stent to hold it open.

There are also some crazy balloons out there. There’s one called a cutting balloon that has tiny razor blades on it, that is used for tough, calcified lesions that regular angioplasty balloons can’t get open.

https://image3.slideserve.com/6870832/cutting-balloon1-n.jpg

2 Likes

Was that a catheter in a blood vessel or a catheter . . . somewhere else?

Somewhere else catheters are definitely unpleasant.

Double espresso please.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.