Overconfident gentleman shows how to inflate a large tire by igniting gasoline in it

Originally published at: Overconfident gentleman shows how to inflate a large tire by igniting gasoline in it | Boing Boing

4 Likes

You can almost hear him thinking, “That wasn’t supposed to happen.”

The genius’s body language at the end proclaims it.

12 Likes

too much gasoline. WAAAAAY too much gasoline.

and now they have cab glass to replace, and they’ve probably broken the bead of the tire and damaged the rim.

I know innertubes are not cheap, but do people not use those anymore?

21 Likes

He’s not trying to inflate it. He’s trying to get the bead of the tire seated on the rim.

And this IS a real trick people use to do this. He just did it wrong. Very wrong. Very very wrong.

39 Likes

I do like the rating this trick has on the Car and Driver site.

tire-bead-explosion-embed-effin

15 Likes

Did he mis-pour the gasoline? As he starts to pour (around 43s) one can see it coming out the bottom. I presume it shouldn’t be there, but what do I know?

6 Likes

It’s the Bolsonaro method. Spectacularly dumb and incredibly dangerous.

10 Likes

Common sense prevailed, but not that day, the other day.

12 Likes

Innertubes make field repairs difficult. Can’t just install a plug.

10 Likes

I’ve seen it done with ether (starting fluid) but not gasoline.

8 Likes

When “Can do!” becomes “Oh, no you di’int.”

6 Likes

Ah, thank you. I was really trying to understand the physics of fully-inflating it this way.

5 Likes

We blowed it up real good!

9 Likes

I don’t know. I mean, I could just start going to Reddit and Tiktok best of boards instead of here.

5 Likes

But that would feel … dirty.

3 Likes

He may have been drinking a little from that bottle I suspect.

Usually it’s an aerosol that gets sprayed into the tire, no?

Whenever I watch videos like this… makes me wonder. You are in a country that looks not to be so plentiful in quality medical care… doubtful they have a decent 9-1-1 service… likely next to nothing in State-funded rehabilitation assistance programs … but sure, plow ahead and undertake an absolutely unsafe activity that could cripple & maim you for life.

1 Like

… I sit corrected. :smiley:

I’ve seen it done a few times and it’s never “to inflate the tire” as the author incorrectly supposes, but to pop the bead back on the rim.

Yes, he used too much gasoline and compounded that with allowing some to leak on the outside of the tire, thus the fire after the explosion. If he had used just enough to pop the bead back on the rim, it’s a bang but not that massive, and any fire inside the tire auto-extinguishes due to lack of oxygen.

5 Likes

Nah, I don’t think it’s the USA.

9 Likes

Pfft! Just spray the shattered pieces with gasoline and ignite. Instant glass repair.

8 Likes