Current American politics explained

ZOMG - the colors are meaningless people - MEANINGLESS!

The world is burning around you and a fungus is going to wipe out all the BANANA TREES, and you are worried a chart isn’t the right cornflower blue!!!

11 Likes

It’s those British sensibilities—see: driving on the left.

2 Likes

Nicely illustrated, though it’s very misleading in one important sense - the size of the Trump slices is massively exaggerated - he’s got a small majority of the smaller of the US political parties and virtually no support outside that party, while both Clinton and Sanders have more supporters overall.

he’s got a small majority plurality of the smaller of the US political parties

2 Likes

That drawing gets a massive quality & informativeness FAIL. Just a couple examples:
The scale goes from “young” to “hatred” as though those were polar opposites. They aren’t: they’re completely different axes.
There is no indication whatsoever of the quantities of each alleged type of voter involved.
The information–to–ink ratio is painfully low.

I’ll stop there. And go to my Safe Space with a couple Ed Tufte books.

2 Likes

I took that as somewhat humorous, like Conan O’Brien rating video games in his Clueless Gamer segments:

(an approximation of the style:) “On a scale where 1=average, 63=mediocre, and 12=very good, I give it a rating of hootenanny”

4 Likes

Could that have something to do with the winner-take-all nature of American elections? Naaaah, probably conspiracy. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

1 Like

Citrus too! Think of the cocktails! THE COCKTAILS!

See also: the Power Donut http://boingboing.net/2016/03/08/the-power-donut.html

What this actually shows me is that the American system doesn’t understand Democracy really. I’d love to see what would happen to American Democracy if you introduced preferencing to your system. Suddenly, you can’t “Throw away your vote”. You vote #1 for “Hairy the Numpty” and #2 Bernie. Hairy only gets .1% of vote. Your vote (due to preference) goes to Bernie, instead of being thrown away. Suddenly 3rd parties have a chance.

4 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

Huh.
I’ve met just as many (mostly blue-collar) young people who are supporting Trump as I have older people. My 90-year-old father-in-law (who has been a pretty solid Republican voter all his life) is scared to death of the current crop of Republican candidates and will probably either vote Democratic or not vote at all this year.

But, y’know, keep flogging that “generational divide” horse, if it makes you feel any better. It makes for good clickbait, I suppose…

2 Likes

That was kinda my point up-thread. Not that where I live is necessarily representative of the nation, but the Sanders signs are in a whole lot of 40-something people’s yards. We’re either still ‘young people’ or claims that Sanders only has support with 18-30 year olds is total BS. (IMO, it’s total BS.)

I was thinking more like this:

But I’m happy to see that according to this chart, I’m still a young person. Now if only I could convince my back, knees, wrists, skin, eyes, hair follicles and overall energy level of that.

5 Likes

I’m fine with ‘still being young’. Let’s stick with that.

4 Likes

Techie smarm disguised as humor? Or just trolling from a Brit with no skin in the game. I can’t tell which!!!

I’m just happy to be called “young.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.