Cut your own vinyl records at home with this machine

They can already do this. There is a DJ product that uses a tone-encoded physical record onto which music is virtually mapped by a computer. It’s not analog, of course.

Cool, but still a waste of a good record

2 Likes

@generic_name already mentioned the Vestrax similar product, I’ve go vague memory of one or three others like this over the decades.

All what they said plus if this thing is just taking line in levels for input, the cutting head stands a great chance of overload very easily. Unless of course there’s a digital limiter circuit in there but that would degrade the sound with transients most likely.

Hi! I’ve made/recorded/mixed/produced a few hundred things that ended up on vinyl and know a bunch of people who’ve done the like. For decades now the final master recording shipped off to the pressing plant is far more likely to be digital than analog. DATs, CD-Rs, various digital tapes, HDDs, etc.

That wouldn’t work. Microphones on their own dont produce enough voltage to drive something like this. One could in theory use a mic & pre-amp + impedance matching to get the input levels right.

1 Like

to be fair, next to 0 percent of modern vinyl records are sourced purely from an analog source. people make recordings digitally now. from kids with garageband on their laptops to George Martin’s son remixing abbey road. thats not a bad thing. i love my vinyl but I’m under no illusion that the quality is better than uncompressed high bitrate digital source material. heck high bitrate mp3s have more dynamic range than vinyl. vinyl is cool. i live vinyl. but its more about experience (the process of holding it, putting it on, looking at the sleeve) and the novelty and beauty of the medium than any real quality/fidelity thing.

2 Likes

In fact most albums recorded since the late 80’s used digital masters even if they used analog multitrack tape for the sessions, the DAT became standard in the early 90’s for the mixed stereo master.

Then there’s the issue of the Universal Fire that destroyed almost every single master tape owned by MCA/Univeral. You’re NEVER going to get an all-analog reissue of many of your favorite artists now. Be thankful a lot of those albums were already issued on cd so we at least have digital copies.

1 Like

cut vinyl record

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.