Laser-cut record clocks

[Permalink]

Note: it’s a really bad idea to laser-cut records, as vinyl will release chlorine gas, which is corrosive and poisonous. Few if any hobby laser cutters will have the appropriate equipment to manage these toxic fumes.

3 Likes

It’s not just bad for you. Chlorine is also corrosive and can ruin your laser’s optics if you cut PVC often.

1 Like

These are really well done (like really!), but I count about 3, maybe 4 which are not someone else’s IP. As someone who runs a business that uses properly licensed art, I see a lot of this out there.

It makes me think once again, ‘No good deed, (or attempt at following the law) goes unpunished’.

I’d love some of that “Hey I recognize that!” money, but my art grab stops at public domain, and ephemera abandon-art.

I’m a laser cutter. I could make one of these easily, but I won’t be because of the exhaust fume problem.

If you’re a Hackspace, it’s worth tagging the laser and putting “vinyl records” down on the prohibited list.

I have been making record clocks on and off for about 6 years now, and we looked into using a lasers, cmc’s or other various devices to shape the record. The problem is that it is really counter to the whole recycle/reuse/re-purpose idea. It is still creating waste (and possibly toxic fumes).

So, I just hand punch holes to put in hour markers, and let the (unplayable) music speak for itself…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.