Listen to vinyl anywhere with this extremely portable record player

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/25/listen-to-vinyl-anywhere-with.html

This thing strikes me as both bad for audio fidelity (unless you’re going for that Leslie speaker sound) and bad for record longevity.

Remember, “wouldn’t it be neat if…” is not a use case.

16 Likes

ETA:
TL;DR of the video is that not only does it sound like complete garbage because it can’t maintain a consistent speed it’ll also damage your records.

17 Likes

I thought an important component of the vinyl experience was the inherent self-flagellating limitations of the medium. You have to be in your room and not jump around too much. Making it portable is like being able to get a seven course French meal from a drive-through and eat it in your car. It would technically “taste” the same, but you wouldn’t be “doing it right”

10 Likes

Thanks. I’ll also play my Stradivarius with a chainsaw.

18 Likes

win win situation

2 Likes

Is it possible I’m just not reading the inherent sarcasm/satire in these product placements?

14 Likes

I’ll just leave this here: http://dualplover.com/vinylrally/

5 Likes

Who is this aimed at? The person just hipster enough to insist on only listening to vinyl, but not enough to carry around a sixties-style portable deck?

6 Likes

I would love to believe that they are sarcastic, but I think Rob, Mark, et al actually want to make some money to support boingboing via their shop.

5 Likes

Having a wood block scraping a needle around your record while it is lying on a hard surface is the exact opposite of “taking care of your records”. For a little more, you can get a decent turntable that will not lead to premature wear and tear on your vinyl.

8 Likes

If it were just crawling around the record a couple of times, using lasers to build a 3D model of the vinyl surface and then translating that into FLAC files it could play at a later time …

6 Likes

They used to sell these soundwagons

Now they are called record runners and have a more fun look to them

10 Likes

anyone who really listens to vinyl knows this will ruin their records.

5 Likes
8 Likes

I’m in your camp as well, this looks like an annoying invitation to destroy your vinyl for $100. One swipe of a cat’s paw or tip from an unwary elbow, and it’s scratch-city.

4 Likes

knows that very many records are worthless landfill which you might as well have some destructive fun with rather than leave them in the bin

1 Like

I had a Close-n-Play. It almost never worked properly – the stylus rarely found the lead-in.

4 Likes

Sad to see Boing Boing degenerate into Fingerhut for tech geeks, but they’ve got bills to pay like all of us. A little care into what products one plugs can do wonders for credibility, though, if that’s a concern.

5 Likes

Couldn’t sound any worse than any other method of dragging a hard object over a sheet of plastic.

1 Like