Cyberpunk 2077 developer says it was hacked

Originally published at: Cyberpunk 2077 developer says it was hacked | Boing Boing

2 Likes

roflmao

4 Likes

Despite all the negative publicity, I’ve found the game fun, even if it is based on Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is quite possibly the cheesiest genre ever created.

In reality, everyone is really, really bad at cybersecurity. Maybe we should give up on reporting hacks and just list places that haven’t been hacked? Except being on that list would pretty much ensure you wouldn’t be on it for long.

3 Likes

dabs corner of mouth with napkin Mmmmm, that was some especially delicious irony.

In the serious tone, I’d consider buying stock in CD Projekt (WSE: CDR) if they do not, in fact, cave to the demands. It’s nice to see some moral standards in any industry, even if it does risk company value.

1 Like

Definitely on-brand.

3 Likes

Cyberpunk got hacked and Paul’s dead and John’s alive.

They already released all the dick pics, what more do they have?

2 Likes

I’m most shocked that anybody still uses Perforce in this day and age as their VCS.

1 Like

You see? It is about ethics in games journalism!

1 Like

Is this just a viral advertising campaign for a DLC where you get to find and kill whoever in the game leaves the spam email on nearly every laptop you encounter?

It was a surprise to me when I found out years ago. It’s still incredibly popular at game studios because a majority of the data is game assets (binary data). Many seem to be moving to having the engine in Git and assets in Perforce—I’m not sure how they couple them since a lot of data overlaps. I’m pretty sure I know of a AAA studio that moved to it from a proprietary tool a year or two ago.

I haven’t played with it in a few years, but while Unreal Engine 4 supports Git or Perforce for projects the engine itself is kept in Git. Git support for projects was really awkward to use (outside of the scaling and performance issues that would grow out of using that).

1 Like

Makes sense.

Git traditionally hasn’t been well suited for large binary files (although it’s much better now with LFS support) and Perforce is old and proven, but it still surprises me to see it still being so heavily in use.

I used Perforce for some 20 years and I immediately fell in love with git once we switched over to it. Git’s flexibility and ease of things Perforce is really bad at - like branching and collaborating - were a breath of fresh air. I don’t miss Perforce in the slightest.

Branching and other features a DVCS offers are huge game-changers. The art side doesn’t generally use those kinds of things, which is why I’ve seen game studios that split between Git and Perforce. I’ve also seen basic things like staging commits trip people up. Artists also tend to lean on GUIs and game studios almost exclusively use Windows.

In general, I think a lot of fields outside of programming could use version control. I’ve seen a few attempts internally at the places I’ve worked and commercially focusing on art assets, but nothing that caught fire. Heck, it was hard to convince programmers 10-20 years ago to use any form of version control.

1 Like

Well. I doubt someone pays a million dollars for this, but then what do I know about the gameing industry?

So, which Keanu meme is it today?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.