Cyclist tries to drive over moving drawbridge, learns it's a bad idea

Originally published at: Cyclist tries to drive over moving drawbridge, learns it's a bad idea | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’d love to see the inner workings of a drawbridge hinge, but not that closely.

9 Likes

If you’re not familiar with it, Sandford is the name of the little town from Hot Fuzz

12 Likes

How did the bridge malfunction? Gates were down, it was going up. This looks entirely the bicyclists fault.

I was expecting someone tried a jump, not this.

8 Likes

Maybe they should lower the river so they don’t have to raise the bridge.

15 Likes

This Dukes of Hazard reboot isn’t doing it for me.

6 Likes

Cyclist tries to drive

?

That’s the problem right there. Cyclists ride, not drive. :wink:

(But yeah, that was effing scary! One suspects some sort of intoxicting substance might explain such idiocy. Even after passing the barrier, could they not see the huge gap in the road in front of them?)

4 Likes

Dumb
Ways
To
Die

4 Likes

It appears that the cyclist actually hit the barrier and kept going. So brain function was not at optimal settings for sure.

A couple of years ago someone tried this stunt at a train crossing near here. It didn’t end well.

5 Likes

Did the bicycle have cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks…?

If no, then don’t.

10 Likes

Dumb Ways To Die Thumbs Up GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

Innocent cyclist? That ignored the gate?

2 Likes

Er, guys, the big giveaway this was a joke was the Sandford Police Dept tag - as in the same fictional local village police in cult movie Hot Fuzz!

1 Like

The clip is real, though.

Appropriate!

3 Likes

There’s bad cycle accidents, and there’s really bad cycle accidents.

The video skips the part where the bear came back and watched him for a while with a “what’s your problem?” attitude.

1 Like

Sandford was the name of the fictional village used in police training in the UK.

3 Likes

Glad to know he survived. As much as I’ve made Darwin Award jokes over the years I don’t relish actually watching someone get crushed by a bridge span on video.

2 Likes

The Moment a Cyclist T-boned a Bear is a standout track on the new National album. Phoebe Brigers’ backing vocals really make the track.

3 Likes

Oooh does this count as a bicycle thread?

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live