Da Musicz

i identify as gen x and i am white; however, while the tune is lovely the words are just amazingly creepy. “your skin makes me cry” . . . “it puts the lotion on” . . .

i remember when synchronicity came out and several people in my circle debated and talked about the album and its lyrics. a couple of my friends thought the song was about god but i said it sounded like a stalker. a few weeks later one of my friends said that sting had admitted straight up that it was about a stalker.

“creep” was that perfect combination of repulsion and beauty. the music, particularly the chord progression, was beautiful but the character the song projected was hideous.

4 Likes

I only love the CHKKK-CHKKK-CHKKRRAAAAANG bit.

That bit’s deadly.

3 Likes

I find sometimes that it takes a cover version to drive home how good a song is.

Listening to the cover can give a fresh context to the original…

5 Likes

I never much liked this song, but after watching this video (based on me trying to figure out why people like this song while I hate it), I have much more respect for it and I understand why I don’t particularly like it (I tend to like melody more than rhythm).

4 Likes

Very true, I semi-recently experienced that with a different cover of the same song.

3 Likes

Today I learned this is a cover!

1 Like

Not the only one.

1 Like

Ray Charles had a way of doing that.

4 Likes

I’m an early millennial, half white. I don’t care for “Creep,” but part of me responds viscerally to that part of the song. I can turn it off after hearing it, though.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Long story short, I reconnected with a jr. high/high school friend in 2009-ish. We first started hanging out at an “'80’s Nite” club in 2015. This song was the first one we slow danced to as adults, although it wasn’t this version. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Her story is so inspiring as to how she was discovered, but then the story afterwards turns very tragic:

This song is always played at the '80’s nite club we go to.

2 Likes

Found this great cover while surfing CSN YouTube.

Original:

5 Likes

Promising!

5 Likes

Worth noting that Brian Jackson got his name on some of the records recently and is getting some of the money he was due.

He also is still playing and has a recent enough record with Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Mohammad’s Jazz Dead project.

https://jazzisdead.co/Brian-Jackson

Which everyone should listen to all of obviously. Start now or they’ll be releasing so many albums you can’t catch up (Tristram Shandy style).

Also, everything but the girl have a new song out in advance of their first album in 20+ years!

5 Likes

Cool! I love their album Secrets.

Yep, we know!

4 Likes

Didn’t see, sorry, so have Kae Tempest’s new one instead. They’re great too! “We built this city on what we stole.”

(I don’t actually know the band whose single they are featured on but it’s still a banger!)

5 Likes

Ooooh!

Funny that, I’ve just been stuck on this one the past few days, repeatedly!

5 Likes

It’s also a banger!

Also, I guess you might like Sleaford Mods?

5 Likes

The Controversial History of The Blue Oyster Cult Symbol

1 Like