Da Musicz

Personal life and controversy aside, MJ influenced an entire generation of incredible dancers.

I just recently discovered Ricardo Walker, but Les Twins are another ‘old’ fav of mine:

5 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

New St. Vincent…

And what’s up with this?

Should we call the number?

3 Likes

You get this:

If you call the number 1-833-77-DADDY , you’ll be greeted with a message that says, “She’s back, in a new role like you’ve never seen her before. Featuring the new single, ‘Pay Your Way in Pain.’” “Nobody expected it, nobody believed it, and nobody could stop it,” the message continue

“We’ve been trying to reach you about your car’s extended warranty…”

4 Likes

That sounds… disappointing.

2 Likes

Certainly not as exciting as 867-5309

5 Likes

drunk parks and recreation GIF

5 Likes

5 Likes
2 Likes

Every once in a while I wake up with a song stuck to my head. Has this ever happened to you? Today’s song was this one sang by Marisa Monte. I looked on YouTube and realized that it is a cover of a much older song by Jorge Ben.

2 Likes

Aww! :cry:

1998 Oscar-winning short, music by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan

2 Likes

This is from a few years ago (2017)… Laurie Anderson singing Perfect Day with a group called Morgensang in Copenhagen.

5 Likes

I’ve sen her a few times, and even met her, but it hurts to remember that she was the first gig to be refunded to me a year ago when it was cancelled. I really miss live music. Like a lot.

6 Likes

Ya’ll know I’m pretty much atheist, but this is the one thing I truly miss from my childhood in the church. More than being the PK, even. The camaraderie topped with that swell you feel when the group of individuals together become more than the whole.

Did I phrase that right?

1 Like

I got to see her once when she was touring what would become Life on a String… we got tickets way down in front of the stage… like 2nd or 3rd row! Towards the end, she introduced Lou, and he sat in with a couple of songs… So, I’ve been like 15 feet from Lou Reed!

I hope she tours again, once the pandemic is over.

Seems like this whole “choir” with pop music is catching on lately (thanks to groups like choir, choir, choir). Maybe the trend will continue to spread post-pandemic and we can all go to one!

5 Likes

I got to see her in Spoleto in '89 by volunteering as an usher, the material was Strange Angels. Unfortunately, for me that was a bit too much of a break from what made me fall in love with her, so I haven’t really followed her since. it was too… normal. Sounded too much like a pop record. I prefer her music without the hooky choruses. But I could recite just about anything she released up through Home of the Brave and there are still certain phrases I’ll say with her unique cadence. A big lockdown thrill last spring was convincing my wife to watch Home of the Brave and she absolutely loved it.

I bought the 5 record set of United States Live in high school and boy howdy at 32 of 1986 dollars that was a lot of lawn mowing and cat sitting. The records are buried in a box but this is making me want to completely relisten so I took to youtube and WOW THIS IS ME DOING MY HAPPY DANCE. What a thrill to hear an older-but-new-to-me version of the show (and stuff that didn’t make it onto the records).

I’m off to button my top button and spend the day listening to this:

3 Likes

Also just discovered this, fascinating!

3 Likes

Have you seen her movie Heart of a Dog? It’s more recent, and I too prefer her earlier stuff, but I loved it.

3 Likes