Dad Rock fans rejoice: Steve Perry is back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/15/dad-rock-fans-rejoice-steve-p.html

7 Likes

It’s nice to see that somebody finally gave him a shot at love.

6 Likes

Punk, not dad!

3 Likes

Sweet harmony right at the end there. Give it a chance.

Thanks, Steve. Good to see you.

2 Likes

NEVER stop believin’!

6 Likes

At 69 - it’s grandad rock.

Now get off my lawn & go buy a record, I mean 8 track…CD?

Also - good on you Steve!

9 Likes

his voice still sounds great. nice to hear it again, gotta say. does that make me a (grand)dad? i guess it does, then. oh well.

5 Likes

I can die happy now

2 Likes

He sounds good…better than I would have hoped.

Dem lyrics tho

4 Likes

4 Likes

He looks and sounds better than I would have imagined as well. Though, I have seen him here and there at SF Giants games over the years. Hopefully, the other songs on his new album are more poetic. This song did have some nice harmonies and a catchy tune but, erm yah, the lyrics weren’t doing anything for me.

The official Journey website barely mentions Steve Perry. The biography mentions him once: “In 2005, JOURNEY received a star on the world famous Hollywood Walk of Fame, bringing together members of the band, including former frontmen Steve Perry and Steve Augeri.” That’s it.

He wasn’t the original singer and they continued (for some reason) after he left, but whether or not you like Journey, you have to admit that Steve Perry was the voice of that band and they were only successful while he was the singer.

6 Likes

It’s a bit like McCartney without Lennon… Steve’s voice still sounds solid, but he really needs Jonathan Cain’s finesse on the songwriting.

1 Like

Exactly. Hearing his voice gave me goosebumps, so great to hear him sing again. He needs to pair up with a great lyricist.

To those knocking Steve’s lyrics on No Erasin’ – remember two things:

1. He’s out there doing it
    and
  2. He respectfully asked that we listen to the new tunes, and whatever they make us feel, he thanked us for listening. If you don’t like the lyrics, then just enjoy the music and let it go at that.
    SMH Some people…

They were able to find a replacement that sounded exactly like him.

1 Like

Would you say that you created a new BBS account in order to tell us that you were disappointed in Boing Boing?

3 Likes

Not at all! I just don’t understand why folks can’t just be happy that Steve is once again sharing his talent.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.