Daily Mail fakes own historical front pages

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/01/daily-mail-fakes-own-historica.html

7 Likes

“Who controls the past controls the future”

George Orwell

12 Likes

Can you blame them? That “You Don’t Clean Your Teeth Mummy” ad is pretty embarrassing.

5 Likes

In case anyone is as baffled by this as I was, the twitter thread has some kind of explanation.

This week the Daily Mail is running a series for VE Day with stories from the time printed in the current paper, these aren’t re-prints of the original paper, they’re re-laid out into the current tabloid format.

The online story seems like it is promoting that and showing pictures of the newspapers you could buy now (if you could go to the shop), but has worded it in the most confusing way possible.

If you squint at the two pictures you can see the actual main articles are the same, although the headlines are different.

Not sure what to make of it all, but at least it doesn’t seem insane.

2 Likes

The one front page reminds me of something I heard lately. For all the bad stuff that Adolf did, he did manage to do one bit of good that no-one else was able to manage: kill Hitler.

Edit: OTOH, my son points out that Adolf also killed the guy who killed Hitler. What a jerk. But at least the Fuhrer killed Adolf, so it balances out.

6 Likes

At least The Daily Hate are consistent in their authoritarian nationalist hatred.

10 Likes

I’m a touch dyslexic, so I read the headline as “Daily Fail makes own historical front pages” and it works.

7 Likes

Not true at all. The first paragraph is different: “successor” is replaced with “fuehrer.” Two sentences later, they change the text of the German radio broadcast to remove reference to Hitler dying. And so on.

9 Likes

Well, it takes a lot of effort to airbrush out the Nazi stuff.
Not that they do now, so… :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

The word spacing in the original was much superior. The new one says “FORKING AND EMPIRE” in the banner.

4 Likes

Stuff like this is why I keep telling people to not mistake Daily Mail for a newspaper of record. It simply cannot be trusted.

4 Likes

“Shit Rag” was coined for that very tabloid.
True story.*

*possibly

4 Likes

I guess pretty much the same.

I mostly mean that the context this stuff was produced in was a special edition “What would the Daily Mail of today look like if it was actually VE-Day 1945, we pulled some stuff from the archive and re-edited it to find out”

Saturday

And for some reason that then ended up as an online story that looks like this.

And then for some reason 5 years later everyone is very angry about it.

Wow, so many anachronisms, I don’t even know where to begin. What a shitty fabrication. This has to be some sort of sick joke, right? Did Gordon’s Gin pay them to do this, or is that just free advertising?

A mixed record, to be sure.

The Mail is intrinsically insane. It’s their raison d’etre.

3 Likes

I’m just surprised they didn’t tell us what Eva Braun was wearing and link to their online shop where you could buy a similar outfit.

1 Like

To us, yes, not to them and their readers.
Which only reinforces your point, I guess…

1 Like

The fashion industry has always been a bit of a bitter pill.

2 Likes

I actually like this one better…

7 Likes