Dan Pink's sensible idea: ban parents from their kids' sporting events

My parents signed me up for Little League one year even though I had no interest or ability in sports. I hitched a ride to practice after school with friends’ parents or older brothers, and faithfully rode my bike to games on Saturdays - which my family never attended. And it hurt really bad. I never saw other kids’ parents acting up during the games.

My son tried a few sports in local and school leagues up until his junior year of high school. We were just happy to see him out of the house and interacting with people. A few parents got a little enthusiastic but there were no big arguments or physical confrontations that I ever saw.

Completely banning all parents from games seems pretty draconian to me, but there may be individuals who deserve it.

1 Like

Right - can’t we just make it easier to throw out parents for unsportsmanlike conduct? Like, make parental conduct an explicit rule for league participation?

1 Like

At one of the games my little brother played in, one of the parents started a shouting match with the referee and ended by being arrested (not sure if actual charges were filed or not).

That someone would take things to that level is somewhat disturbing–not only are your kids seeing this go down, but the other kids, coaches, family members and friends. I wholeheartedly agree with your thought that parents should be held accountable.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.