When sports parents attack

[Read the post]

1 Like

“Way to go, Paul.”

I am going to use that line and nobody but me will get the beyond obscure reference, but it’s ok.

10 Likes

I fear it is only a matter of time before one of these sports parents pulls out a licensed concealed carry handgun then a couple of innocents are shot. I took my daughter out of softball after a sport parent hit an umpire with a bat after he called a strike out on his daughter. The guy didn’t even get a fine in court, it set a great example. That was 20 years ago it is getting worse every year and I don’t understand it at all. The next generation may even be worse as kids learn more from watching their parents than any other way. This sport parent should have been banned from future games. The child should be sat on the bench for a few games to impress other “sport parents” with the seriousness of this bad behavior. It is not fair to the child but it is necessary to make a point. Sports Are supposed to be fun for kids and a way to help children learn fairness and the importance of rules. This parents bad behavior teaches the opposite. This may sound like over reaction but it is a trend that is worrying to me.

4 Likes
5 Likes

From the comments section.

1 Like

Also, toughened glass tends to shatter into small pieces, exactly like shown, if a localized damage occurs. A tungsten carbide ring can do that easily.

It’s pretty common in the Outrage Economy to show things out of context to maximize the gain. People are quick to get intoxicated with their righteous condemnation (a hell of a drug, it seems!) and few are willing to even ask if there can be any mitigating details in any given story.

There are people out there who are already dropping out of the outrage train and increasingly questioning where it goes. Hope they reach the critical mass; can’t be soon enough. The inflationary nature of the outrage economy - you have to ratch each one higher than the previous one was to get the same effect/response - is helpful here.

…On a side note, is living in a haze of vicarious rage through offsprings’ sports games better or worse than living in a haze of vicarious rage through blog comments?

6 Likes

Uh - huh. Carbide ring. A more likely explanation is this guy is a Terminator from the future, who married Sarah Conner’s mother and is waiting for his step daughter to start dating before systematically causing tragic “accidents” for each one of her boy friends.

6 Likes

I prefer rage free in all areas of life.

1 Like

Can confirm. One tiny nick and tempered glass is everywhere in roughly 1/4" pieces and smaller.

Also, glass corrodes. Slowly but corrodes, especially in humid air. A small crack can grow over years, pried apart by water molecules adhering to the exposed glass network. When it gets deep enough, the built-in stresses turn slow growth into fast, and the thing shatters. That’s why your toughened glass table suddenly explodes in 3:45 AM and showers the living room with glass fragments, as happened to a friend. Smaller objects, e.g. glasses, can explode in the same albeit less dramatic ways.

This is just as naive as other “economies”. There is no “gain”, things simply change states, or move from one place to another. Not unlike the water cycle, or the conservation of energy.

1 Like

A glass ashtray exploded right in front of me once. I’d heard of the phenomenon, so I was chuffed, but others were solid spooked.

1 Like

Children’s organised competitive team sports are a cesspool of self interest, egos, angriness, incompetence, bad behaviour, nepotism, and general ugliness on behalf of the parents; but the children usually seem to be able to rise above it.

9 Likes

I was on the receiving side of hockey parents’ anger twice while working part time at a rink. Once involved me calling the cops on a mom trying to scale a roll-down security fence, and the other ended with me driving the Zamboni across the rink towards the dad, staring him down the whole time. (They pulled me from Zamboni duty for that). Parents get crazy when their kids are competitive.

3 Likes

My thought exactly - there is not such thing as a carbide wedding ring. In fact, this disinterested third party seems so desperate to defend the gentleman, I call sock puppet.

1 Like

My wedding ring is tungsten carbide. Maybe I should trying breaking windows with it?

6 Likes

That probably explains why the guy didn’t blink and just angrily pointed through the gap and kept shouting. With his ring, must happen all the time. Practically a love pat.

My wedding ring is also tungsten-carbide.

5 Likes

So the guy planned for and wore a special hockey-glass-breaking ring for years before the daughter was even born just waiting for this moment? Say what you want, but that’s dedication.

2 Likes

http://www.uktitaniumjewellery.co.uk/index.php?cPath=12

wat?

Most likely an unintended artefact of having a pretty, shiny, nonscratchable durable ring.

Sometimes when the unexpected happens you discount it for the moment.