Dance your Tuesday blues away to Deee-Lite!

Originally published at: Dance your Tuesday blues away to Deee-Lite! | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Tuesday blues?

Have not heard of the Taco Tuesday?

5 Likes

We are going to groove to Horton hears a who-who.

6 Likes

I’ve always liked this song, even at my most cynical and when I was otherwise listening to TG or Metal Machine Music.

Many years ago (circa 1995), this was on the overhead speakers at Wheatsville Food Co-op (@j9c ) in Austin. The entire store was dancin’ in the aisles.

6 Likes

It’s true! Deee-Lite’s Groove is in the Heart is the greatest music video ever. It starts with Bootsy Collins dropping in on bass and just gets better and better. There’s a rap from Q-Tip. There’s the Horny Horns action from Maceo Parker. Plus, there’s slide whistles. Too much.

7 Likes

So Old School, I like it.

4 Likes

I still dance like Lady Miss Kier.
giphy (2)

8 Likes

Are you sure about that? He may be playing it in the video but the tune is straight up sampled/ripped from Herbie Hancock.

From wiki: Though the album version was not recorded until 1990, the song was originally written in the late 1980s; it was performed live as early as 1989.[2] The backing track was built around many samples, primarily the main riff from Herbie Hancock’s track “Bring Down the Birds” from the Blowup soundtrack and Vernon Burch’s “Get Up”, which provided the drum track and also formed the basis for the breakdown featuring a slide whistle. Parliament-Funkadelic bassist Bootsy Collins provided guest vocals, and the rap is provided by Q-Tip of A Tribe Called Quest.[3]

3 Likes

The bit at the beginning of the song, in which the female voice suggests “we’re going to dance and have some fun” came from an old belly dance instruction LP. :smiley:

A dear friend’s pre-adolescent son hipped me to Groove Is In The Heart by way of a skateboard VHS tape called A Skateboard Video. [Just imagine my trying to run a search for that!] Several skaters’ great tricks and major fails and flails were featured, each skater’s section backed with a different song. Erik and I both loved the song, and the skater doin’ his thang to it.

I can’t remember if we finally lucked out & managed to pause the tape at the right time during the credits, and learned the title that way, or if I found out later. I do remember hitting a rich people garage sale after a couple years or so, and finding a $1 cassette of World Clique. Fast fwd to our getting the internet at long last (Oct '98), and my eventually locating every last mfing version of Groove Is In The Heart!

The ‘Bootsified to the Nth Degree’ mix is my fave.

6 Likes

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I can only aspire to dance like LMK. Swoons

I… I have found a new heaven. Thank you.

4 Likes

You are more than welcome!

I also deeply dig the Meeting of the Minds mix:

The “Y’all are crazy, man!” from Bootsie at the end is crucial to my enjoyment :wink: It’s not part of the Bootsified mix, and I miss it V much.

There are so many versions…

The LP version is 3 mins 55.
The Peanut Butter Mix is 3 mins 30.
The Peanut Butter Radio Mix is 3 mins 32. Radio edits are usually shorter, innit?
The Jelly Jam Beats version is 2 mins 12.
The instrumental version is 3 mins 46.
The acapella version is 3 mins 38.
The extended version is 4 mins 59.

There are now even more, mostly created by DJs w/noms d’étage what sound Ukranian and Russian, but I have none of those.

3 Likes

Well, you can’t go wrong with Herbie Hancock.

2 Likes

True That

2 Likes

Dig!

3 Likes

Member Towa Tei is still active in music in Japan, both as a solo artist and as part of METAFIVE.
worth checking out, I believe

5 Likes

1 Like