Dashcam video shows killing of Philando Castile

I’m glad you explained it because I thought it was a person smoking a pipe.

2 Likes

@Auld_Lang_Syne

Yes, they saw this and the Facebook video as a part of the trial, and repeatedly during deliberations.

2 Likes

The jury pool was given an extensive questionare. With this information I suppose the defense managed to weed out individuals with… shall we say… open minds.

9 Likes

I’m sure Mr. Castile might have gotten around to that little detail if he had not been immediately killed.

28 Likes

He fired his weapon within seconds of hearing he had a firearm with him. He never asked for any clarifying information. What you are saying here makes no sense whatsoever.

27 Likes

Mistakes or not the exact same scenario in the state of Michigan with a white guy I know resulted in friendly banter.

Difference: benefit of the doubt.

24 Likes

“Both partners are very invested in some very intense sex,” he says. “There’s not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it.”

What the fucking fuck?

19 Likes

Castile didn’t say exactly the right words black men have to say in order not to get murdered?

29 Likes

Suuure it does. It’s called “victim blaming.”

21 Likes

If police are not held accountable then they will continue to do as they will.

The “protecting the child from marijuana smoke” defense is bogus when you consider that if he’d been smoking a huge stogie, producing a lot more smoke, the cop wouldn’t have cared about the child’s lungs.

15 Likes

Welcome to boingboing, comrade

6 Likes

What was Castile’s “mistake”?

6 Likes

hear, hear. and the folks who trained him – that “Bulletproof Warrior" class – and the individuals who endorsed it at the police department should all face civil rights violations.

that someone was trained to act like this should be criminal.

16 Likes

Shoulda coulda but but but, what if the officer really really wanted some of that great sex as promised during training?

5 Likes

My brother is a cop, and doesn’t defend “thin blue line” behavior. I have been flamed here before for it (and am sure I will shortly as well), but perhaps the narrative you have heard is not broadly true.

2 Likes

The “bulletproof warrior” thing is a direct quote from police training materials.

15 Likes

I too am lost for words.

3 Likes

What’s even more bogus is the line of logic.

He doesn’t care about secondhand smoke, therefore he must not care about shooting a cop.

8 Likes

We’re still trying to work out the exact incantation that stops senseless police killings…

14 Likes