David Brooks thinks Italian salami is ruining America

Well, everyone is famous in the US, for 15 minutes at least.

David Brooks writes a weekly column for the New York Times, and is an author of several books where he analyzes social phenomenon usually dealing with class and caste, the best selling one is called “Bobos in Paradise.” (Bobos being a phrase he coined short for “bourgeois bohemians,” or the intellectual and financial elites in American society.) He also appears weekly on public broadcasting’s NewsHour, providing a conservative counterpoint to the week’s news.

And while he’s a vocal critic of the Trump administration, he’s conservative enough to annoy many on the left, but not so conservative that he’s fully embraced by the right.

1 Like

In my experience, he’s mostly well known as the guy who pretty much everyone, on the left, right and center, says “ugh, a new David Brooks column” whenever he’s published.

4 Likes

I think I need to send that to my cousin Vince.

1 Like

4 Likes

I wonder if in “quickly [asking] if she wanted to go somewhere else” served in any way to reinforce any feelings of exclusion in her friend.

I’ve been looking for some kind of reaction from Brooks since he’s been pretty much universally mocked and criticized since he published his column, but he seems to be keeping mum. I kind of feel sorry for him. I don’t know how I’d cope with so many people calling me a dunderhead.

It’s “Yo quiero Taco Bell”, unless you really do mean the “you”. Then it’s “You quieres Taco Bell.”

Ah, high school Spanish. I can’t say I’m able to read, write or speak it with any fluency. But I can at least be a grammar Francoist. In the present tense. For a limited vocabulary.

3 Likes

To a lot of conservatives, learning anything at all is an exercise in defying their core instincts and grating against the fabric of their very being.

Fuck, they carried all those in the grocery-store deli I worked in and it was hardly “fancy economic driver city,” but flat-out lumberworker unionsville crossed with vegan pot-smoking hippies with Hell’s Angels thrown in. Even the people with money aren’t upper class, in other words.

Me, I’m a little more partial to the German end of the deli case, myself.

2 Likes

Just imagine if Brooks’ sheltered friend had to deal with the delicious horrors of braunschweiger, jagerwurst, and German head cheese! Dang, now I’m hungry.

1 Like

I’m craving some Sauerbraten, now. First had some in Saarbrücken two years ago. Too bad German cuisine is so scarcely available in France.

3 Likes

Not even in the Alsace?

Mind you, if you’re there, you might just as well go to Germany.

Here’s one for Mr. Brooks – “Strunz”

For some reason I first thought you meant:

and I couldn’t work it out at all. Urban dictionary sorted me out though. :slight_smile:

‘Stronzo’ I knew but I’d never come across that particular term.

1 Like

Isn’t that like, a day trip? What with the highly developed rail system, and ridiculously small countries?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.