Daytime drowsy? Put your head in the freezer, says sleep scientist

Thanks. I just spit out my lunch. :rofl:

6 Likes

… poured over your head?

5 Likes

I just tried it. I still feel insanely lethargic. Maybe I have a bigger problem. Ha.

4 Likes

Clearly this is the Detritus the Tröll technique:

One of the reasons behind Detritus’s emerging cleverness is the special helmet he is wearing which has a fan that cools his head. (Since trölls’ brains are made from impure silicon, they work better when cooled.) The helmet has been constructed by his friend and first partner on the job, acting-constable Cuddy, (deceased).

In colder climates, (such as Bonk winters or the chill desert nights of Klatch), Detritus displays intelligent wit and humour, and if left exposed to the icy coldness of the Pork Futures Warehouse long enough, reaches extraordinary levels of intelligence; however this is also a near-fatal temperature for even trölls.

https://wiki.lspace.org/Detritus

6 Likes

Sometimes, I’ll have a small cup of coffee right before bedtime. That sounds insane, but for some reason, a small amount of coffee tends to make me really relaxed and a little bit sleepy. Two full size cups will make me awake and alert. Anything over that, and I can feel my heart beating in every cell of my body.

11 Likes

The only way I can achieve perfect feng shui is to move shit when the subway’s not around. Deal with it.

5 Likes

Would this be the non-neutral sense of jarring your conscience?

7 Likes

But it was a rat hat!

2 Likes

No thanks

6 Likes

It’s a thing!

The link is about naps, but it seems from the description (and my experience) that it works for longer sleeping too

9 Likes

i often find that if i have too much coffee, it puts me right to sleep. i’m glad to hear this isn’t just the simulation being buggy

7 Likes

5 Likes

Kind of, but that doesn’t really describe the caffeine making someone sleepy, just a way to get in a power nap before the caffeine kicks in. In my case, a little bit of caffeine seems to actually cause drowsiness. I’m not entirely surprised, though. I have opposite reactions to the norm to a few medications. Phenobarbital, which is supposed to be a sedative and anti-seizure medicine, apparently causes me to literally try to climb walls (I have no recollection of the experience, but that’s what I was later told I did). Marijuana makes me hyper, anxious, and super paranoid. And lastly, morphine has no effect on me whatsoever. Other opiates do, so that’s just weird.

5 Likes

Ditto, with a lot of drugs working the first time for me, then to having weird effects, from doing nothing to wearing off ridiculously fast, or having side effects that make the doctor go “huh?”

You wouldn’t happen to be a redhead, would you?

3 Likes

Oh, wow, how I wish I’d had one of those when I had COVID last month!!! Cold packs were the only thing that helped with the skull-splitting headaches, but it was tricky to keep them in place.
Adding to the gift list for next year! Not for COVID, hopefully, but a better cure for headaches than ibuprofen or Tylenol have proven for me, and without the stomach lining issues.
For the pick me up, I also agree with switching tasks for a bit. When I worked in an office, I sometimes would go around and check on all the plants, water as needed. Or clean up the break area (multiple benefits for that behavior, I’ll tell you! The boss never complains when you’re away from your desk because you’re cleaning up everyone else’s mess!) And I’d get back to my desk refreshed.

7 Likes

Nope, dirty blonde. Towhead blonde when I was young.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Some people with ADHD react that way. Stimulants making them sleepy. My best friend’s Adderall makes him calm and caffeine sleepy

Cold makes me sleepy. Not sure the head-in-freezer would work for me

5 Likes

sounds like the idea… of the century

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.