Daytime drowsy? Put your head in the freezer, says sleep scientist

Originally published at: Daytime drowsy? Put your head in the freezer, says sleep scientist | Boing Boing

10 Likes

That would seem to explain why things that may jar (in the neutral sense) your conscience a little before bed keep you up.

I like the freezer idea except that mine is on the bottom and a drawer, so yeah…

9 Likes

Yeah, Amazon worker pissing in a bottle, just take a little midday jaunt back to your exurban paradise and wander through your gardens and listen to the bees. You’ll be tip-top in no time!

Being a little bitter here, I’m sure the full text has a lot of valuable and interesting insights and research.

However, unless there’s a chapter on how to drown out the noise of a passing subway train rattling your apartment walls, or exactly how to peacefully appeal to you upstairs neighbor not to rearrange all of their furniture at 11pm and 5:30am every day, I’m not to the “head in the freezer” stage yet. (some afternoons “head in the oven” feels closer than I’d prefer…)

17 Likes

How dare you complain about ‘structural factors’ when modernity’s bounty has brought self-care listicles and wellness influencers to every smartphone?

13 Likes

I’m guessing that putting your head in the oven is not recommended just before bedtime.

8 Likes

So coffee wakes you up, and cold wakes you up; so, iced coffee?!

14 Likes

Or for that matter, how’s this for a novel idea- take a nap. Lots of treatments for drowsiness, but there’s only one cure!

10 Likes

16 Likes

What if my freezer is already full of heads and there’s no space?

28 Likes

Do they make it in sable to go along with my puffy coat?

11 Likes

Say what you will- Georgie boy was toasty!

6 Likes

Or you can hook your nipple rings up to a 9v battery for a jolt.

5 Likes

The comments here so far have restored my faith in humanity, and that is an excellent pick-me-up.

14 Likes

Then you’ve got bigger problems than just trying to stay awake.

5 Likes

You can, sure (assuming your nipple rings are ferrous), but I recommend a Violet Wand or other dedicated electric play toy instead. They are a lot more adjustable – pin point or wide spread – and far more versatile.

8 Likes

I came here scared that there was going to be more Matthew Walker puffery. That man is a menace. :grimacing:
So many books sold with made up evidence.

4 Likes

10 Likes

That will definitely cure your drowsyness.

9 Likes

I for one sleep better when I know where my enemies are.

12 Likes

This is oddly specific :rofl:

3 Likes