De Beers to sell lab-made diamonds as gemstones

I get the “ooooh, shiny!” appeal. I think gemstones are pretty. I just don’t understand why people would go all-out for a stone that basically looks like slightly more sparkly glass instead of things like sapphires, emeralds, opals, even amber, which have more color and variety.

I understand it’s because of a massive marketing campaign, I just don’t get why people would fall for it, especially when a large part of it is weddings rings, which should be symbols of a unique and personal bond. If there’s ever a time NOT to get a piece of jewelry that’s virtually identical to thousands of others out there, a wedding ring is it. I’m not trying to knock anyone who genuinely likes diamonds, but it seems like most people do it because they feel obligated to, and it’s a bit disheartening that they’re putting so little thought into this symbol of their relationship.

1 Like

Can I get a diamond made from the carbon of an oppressed african miner?

I mean a true blood diamond…

(shit, even thinking that gave me the willies, because there’s gotta be some rich fucks that that would actually appeal to)

Morbid as that is, there’s already sort of a market out there; after they die, you can have your loved ones’ bodies compressed into a diamond.

1 Like

No idea. I flunked gemology because I’m bit too color blind. I took the job because of the Finnish government decision to fuck the unemployed again. And the workshop shares space with an well equipped clock/watch repair workshop. So I can actually practice my craft.

Diamonds are nice. Painite is nicer.

Yeah, I know about this as it started with pets, so as a Vet, I’d get questions.

To do this, they don’t use carbon, but instead put a little of the mineral residue post cremation into the diamond carbon mix. So… you’ve just spent a lot of $ to have whatever dead thing you liked become inclusions, actually lowering the value of your stone…

1 Like

Pets?

Yikes; that’s excessive.

But then again, so is the whole idea in general, IMO,

When it’s my time, just cremate me in a tissue paper wrap and (eventually) scatter my ashes in the Caribbean sea, and call it a day.

2 Likes

My grandpa was cremated and spread over his favorite desert mountains. I like that idea. Get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I drive by there.

And you wouldn’t believe the weird ass things people do with their pets… I had one lady have her cat taxidermied so she could look at it every day forever I guess…

1 Like

it wasn’t a diamond but my step mother had some of my dad’s ashes put into a cross that she still wears.

I also have a pendant that has my aunt’s finger print on it (she was not cremated like my dad was). All of us (siblings, nieces, nephews, as she had no kids) got something with her fingerprint on it after the funeral.

I don’t know if any of that is morbid, but it is what it is, I guess.

2 Likes
1 Like

Or your partner might be some kind of vapid social climber who clings to the signifiers of their parents and grandparents generations, like most people are.

1 Like

My dad has a watch fob knitted from my grandmother’s hair (this was apparently a thing back in the 1800’s).

Kind of gross and morbid, but kind of cool as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.