Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Chefautor. So viel Zeit muß sein.

3 Likes

This is pushing the boundary of “celebrity” but one of President John Tyler’s grandsons just died this week. Not great-great-great grandson. Grandson. John was this guy’s Pop-pop.

John Tyler, 10th President of the United States. Born two years after the Constitution was ratified John Tyler. And he still has one living grandson.

10 Likes

I’m guessing two Winter/Spring marriages were involved?

My wife uncharitably points out that I have one grandparent who was born in the 19th century.

4 Likes

Yeah but I bet your grandparents didn’t grow up knowing any of the characters from “Hamilton” like this guy’s did.

6 Likes

He didn’t know any of the famous people of his era, either.

Let that be a lesson: if you live long enough, you should tell your grandchildren that you used to know famous figures of the 20th Century. As long as you confine your tales to the pre-internet era they’ll never be able to call you on it.

7 Likes

That is CRAZY, right?? All four of mine were 19th century born. The paternal ones died early 1970s and maternal ones died by 1936, maybe?

My parents married at 25 (dad) and 27 (mom) and due to mom’s post-WWII tuberculosis, my mom was 30 when she had my eldest sibling. I tend to think of myself as a young 57. :wink:

I like to watch old movies and I’ll IMDb the particularly older actors and think, “Wow. This dude was born before the Civil War.”

6 Likes

I had one born in the 19th century and two in the first decade of the 20th: I’m 46.

In the extremely unlikely event that humanity survives the next 30 years my son could make it to the 22nd century. If he does, he’ll still have to put Mona in his will.

2 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

in the face of onerous coronavirus-related travel restrictions

That’s an unusual choice of words…unless the author is a complete asshole.

3 Likes

Huh, yeah you’re right - I wonder what the author meant there. Didn’t catch that on first read - I read it but didn’t take the meaning (which is the correct one) of onerous being an unjust burden rather than simply a heavy one.

2 Likes

Just found this…

11 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes

Just coming to post that… from the Root:

7 Likes

is it too soon to post this?
I might be a bit excited.

3 Likes

Don’t jinx it!