MMXVII Dead Pool - Sign up and rules discussion

2016 has sucked for celebrity deaths. So in the tradition of gallows humour (and thanks to a suggestion from @JemmieDuffs …)

I present the M_M X VII Dead Pool.

This is a thread for both sign-ups and thrashing out of rules.

The Rules
Each player to submit a card of 10 notable celebs before midnight (UTC) on 31/12/16 to the adjudicator via PM.
(Adjudicator yet to be decided)
The game will start as soon as 2017 does and run until midnight 31/12/17. (Again, UTC)
The death must occur and be announced after 12:00:01 AM 1/1/17 UTC.
No changes can be made to a card after the game starts but if any of your picks leave early to avoid the rush, you will be able to choose a replacement.
All picks must be human and alive. No dogs, cats, racehorses, prize-winning mooses, artificial intelligences, ghosts, spoks, spectres, haunts, ha’ants, fictional characters, crazed figments of diseased imaginations etc.
Players are responsible for their own picks, so try to choose someone who’s not dead yet.
Players are also responsible for monitoring the status of their picks. I’ll be keeping an eye on Wikipedia’s list of deaths, but don’t rely on it.
A “notable celeb” is one who’s death is reported by a major media outlet.
At the end of 2017, the player with the highest score wins.

Scoring -
Each death will be scored as 120 minus age.
Bonus points will be awarded for the following
FRIST!!one! First pick to score - +10 points
Having a BoingBoing main-page item on their death + 25 points.
For each BoingBoing main-page item about them +10 points
Joining the 27 club + 27 points
Having a banana-related death +100 points
That’s Numberwang! Bonus: two stiffs on same day = Double points for each.
Meta Bonus if stiff has appeared in The Dead Pool (1988) or Deadpool (2016) +25 points
Robbing the Cradle Bonus: youngest stiff +17 points (Bonus added to final score)
Rob Ford - You should probably start a new thread about that.
The Fall of The House of Apricot - +100 points to everyone if a certain tiny-handed vulgarian karks it.
You’d Betty believe we’re upset -100 points all round for the last Golden Girl.

So, we’ll need an adjudicator to take PMs, suggestions for any other rules, comments, criticisms etc.

If you’re interested in playing, reply below but don’t post any picks yet. This is just a sign up sheet and rules discussion.

8 Likes

I’m in…provided i remember to fill this out

A clarification on the rules though. Is there any negative modifier if we are found complicit in the death of any on our list?

:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

17 Likes

That would depend on the pick. For some, a heavy points penalty would be given. For others, an alibi would be handed out.

14 Likes

I’m in… I am sure to have 10+ names leftover from my alt.obituaries list.

7 Likes

I’m in.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Rule Suggestions:

The death must occur and be announced after 12:00:01 AM 1/1/17 UTC.
That’s Numberwang! Bonus: two stiffs on same day
Meta Bonus if stiff has appeared in The Dead Pool (1988) or Deadpool (2016)
Robbing the Cradle Bonus: youngest stiff

Clarification on “notable celeb” prior to death? For example, would Lê Đức Anh, Josip Manolić and Lawrence Ferlinghetti count as notable celebs?

7 Likes

Howl yeah.

4 Likes

Good rules. Added. :thumbsup:

There’s Wikipedia pages on them (so current notability) and if they get a shout-out in major media (AP or the like) then that would count for me.

3 Likes

How about asking for people to provide a few alternates (in case someone checks out early between submitting the list and the start of the year)?

3 Likes

Should contestants devise names for their lists, or opt for a naming convention like “%N’s List” for easy reference and management?

3 Likes

Yeah, should make that explicit. [quote=“JemmieDuffs, post:11, topic:90196, full:true”]
Should contestants devise names for their lists, or opt for a naming convention like “%N’s List” for easy reference and management?
[/quote]

That’ll be down to whoever adjudicates it. I don’t mind MCing, but I mostly ignore PMs.
ETA: Lots of BBS dropouts today. Really slow. :frowning2: Like, unusable. I’ll check back a bit later.

1 Like

Another Rules Suggestion: Disallow entries of incarcerated people awaiting execution.

5 Likes

And half-points for those who have terminal illnesses that were disclosed publicly (National Enquirer doesn’t count) before 2016-12-31 (e.g. Rob Ford last year).

I think I’ll be in.

2 Likes

day-month-year?

Have you ever tried to sort multiple records index with such a date?

YOU MONSTER!

7 Likes

I think we can put our differences behind us.

For science.

You monster.

4 Likes

Punishment for doing research?

2 Likes

It seems that the goal is to reward unexpected deaths more, from the following rules:

Each death will be scored as 120 minus age.
Joining the 27 club + 27 points
Robbing the Cradle Bonus: youngest stiff +17 points

Research is fine; I just don’t want to reward people trawling the news archives for young, sick people in order to maximize their bonuses.

4 Likes

but that’s half the fun of making a list…

4 Likes

Small-bigger-biggest
See logical.

2 Likes