And it’s here. In the absence of an adjudicator, just post your picks whenever you have them, or whenever you feel like it, just so long as it’s before the deadline. Tactical players may wish to leave it as late as possible. Or not.
- Each player to submit a card of 10 notable celebs before midnight (UTC) on 31/12/16
- The game will start as soon as 2017 does and run until midnight 31/12/17. (Again, UTC)
- The death must occur and be announced after 12:00:01 AM 1/1/17 UTC.
- No changes can be made to a card after the game starts but if any of your picks leave early to avoid the rush, you will be able to choose a replacement.
- All picks must be human and alive. No dogs, cats, racehorses, prize-winning mooses, artificial intelligences, ghosts, spooks, spectres, haunts, ha’ants, fictional characters, crazed figments of diseased imaginations etc.
- Players are responsible for their own picks, so try to choose someone who’s not dead yet.
- Players are also responsible for monitoring the status of their picks. I’ll be keeping an eye on Wikipedia’s list of deaths, but don’t rely on it.
- A “notable celeb” is one who’s death is reported by a major media outlet.
- At the end of 2017, the player with the highest score wins.
Each death will be scored as 120 minus age.
Bonus points will be awarded for the following:
FRIST!!one! First pick to score - +10 points
Having a BoingBoing main-page item on their death + 25 points.
For each BoingBoing main-page item about them before their death +10 points - players must provide links!
Joining the 27 club + 27 points
Having a banana-related death +100 points
That’s Numberwang! Bonus: two stiffs on same day = Double points for each.
Meta Bonus if stiff has appeared in The Dead Pool (1988) or Deadpool (2016) +25 points
Robbing the Cradle Bonus: youngest stiff +17 points (Bonus added to final score)
Rob Ford - You should probably start a new thread about that.
The Fall of The House of Apricot - +100 points to everyone if a certain tiny-handed vulgarian karks it.
You’d Betty Believe We’re Upset -100 points all round for the last Golden Girl.
Avoiding The Rush - Double points for any death that occurs on Jan 1st.
Other bonus points may or may not be awarded on grounds of taste, lack of taste or humour or grim irony. This shall be discussed by the players and voted on.
M_M’s Top Ten
Donald “Racist” Trump
Jimmy “Alleged Murderer” Snuka
Bill “Rapist” Cosby
Robert “Dictator” Mugabe
Rupert “Hatemonger” Murdoch
Charles “Not Looking So Bad Compared To Some Now” Manson
Nuon “Khmer Rouge No. 2” Chea
Ian “Moors Murderer” Brady
Charles “Plutocrat” Koch
Pope Emeritus “Homophobe” Benedict XVI
Daneel’s Roll of Honour
Shirley Ann Jackson
Ursula K Le Guin
XIV XIII XII XI X
George R. R. Martin
Muhammad Ali Elvis Presley Jimmy Hoffa Edward Snowden
James Earl Jones
Betty Wh… Oh, right, I have to remember the Golden Rule. Yoko Ono.
Ficuswhisperer’s “For Whom The Bell Tolls”
George HW Bush
LearnedCoward’s R.I.P. Crowd
George Michael - replaced by Carl Reiner
JemmieDuffs The (Mostly) Brexit Brigade or, Numbered Ten Downing Sheet
Joost Van Der Westhuisen
Philip Louis Stavros Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh
Piers Sellers replaced byAbu Bakr al-Baghdadi
IronEdithKidd’s Stone Cold Selection
Queen Elizabeth II
Laurence Tureaud (That’s Mr. T, fool)
TobinL’s Terminal Team
George H. W. Bush
Charles Van Doren
Wisconsinplatt’s Club 27 Death List
Chris Brown (b. May 5, 1989)
Hayden Panettiere (b. August 21, 1989)
Taylor Swift (b. December 13, 1989)
Hozier (b. March 17, 1990)
Princess Eugenie of York (b. March 23, 1990)
Carly Chaikin (b. March 26, 1990)
Kristen Stewart (b. April 9, 1990)
Iggy Azalea (b. June 7, 1990)
Margot Robbie (b. July 2, 1990)
Jennifer Lawrence (b. August 15, 1990)
Danegeld’s Choir Invisible
HRH The Queen
AcerPlatanoides’ “Pining (perhaps Mapling?) For The Fjords”
Rob Ford - awaiting status verification
Lamaranagram’s Letterhead Poison
Barbara Bush (the elder)