7 Likes

Ooooh, go on then!

(You didn’t think I would?)

4 Likes

Ah yes, another day on Benny Hill Island. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

giphy

18 Likes

Cesar G. Villela, creator of the visual of the covers of Bossa Nova albums, dies at 90 years old.

The designer leaves a strong referential work, exposed in the modernist covers idealized for the albums edited by the label Elenco in the 1960s.

10 Likes

I love the covers on old Bossa and MPB records!

4 Likes

I also really like them. The old jazz albums of Verve and Blue Note also had amazing covers. My father was very fond of Brazilian popular music and instrumental music from the 1960s. I was admiring the art on the covers of these records.

This is one of the things I miss. Of course, digital music is very practical and convenient, but losing the art of long play covers is a little sad.

7 Likes
18 Likes

Just coming to post this

Fuck this pandemic and the genocidal assholes that let it spread out of control.

16 Likes

Carol Sutton also has died of Coronavirus complications.

As we’re basically three weeks out of thanksgiving now, I suspect we’re going to see a ton more of these in the next week or two as a large number of people did Thanksgiving in the US anyway. Just be ready for it.

14 Likes

John le Carré has passed away, it has been announced in the past few minutes, apparently, as I was watching the BBC news tonight. Not yet even on their website.

ETA Here you go - posted on the site 2 mins ago

FETA And then this, too.

16 Likes

He skewered the right wing warmongering imperialist hypocrisy relentlessly. And made it stylish at the same time. When I was a kid I watched Tinker Tailor with my old man. I understood exactly none of it but it was a thing between us and I appreciated it (he worked nights as well as the day job). I’m sure he was pestered with questions. Alec Guinness doing nothing the whole time and ending up with Patrick Stewart walking past him (in the sequel) to go into a room and talk is for me one of the great symbolic, minimal endings.
Read the night manager back in April as it happens. We’ll miss him.

14 Likes

Here’s a very good interview with him, that I recall reading a year or so ago.

12 Likes

Smiley heard Toby’s team leave one by one until only Peter Guillam remained. Walking a short way back along the embankment, almost to where the cross stood, Smiley took another look at the bridge, as if to establish whether anything had changed, but clearly it had not, and though the wind appeared a little Stronger, the snow was still swirling in all directions.

Peter Guillam touched his arm.

‘Come on, old friend,’ he said. ‘It’s bedtime.’

From long habit, Smiley had taken off his spectacles and was absently polishing them on the fat end of his tie, even though he had to delve for it among the folds of his tweed coat.

‘George, you won,’ said Guillam as they walked slowly towards the car.

‘Did I?’ said Smiley. ‘Yes. Yes, well I suppose I did.’

Silly me, I still mourn that no one picked up the lighter.

11 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

Paulo CĂ©sar Santos, Paulinho, a founder member of pop group Roupa Nova, died last Monday, due to covid19. Roupa Nova is an immensely popular musical group in Brazil. and the singer’s death sparked consternation between fans and artists.

6 Likes

One of my heroes.
Live Fast, Die Old.
What a life

3 Likes
9 Likes

Dammit! She was amazing and her music will always remain so.

5 Likes