Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

10 Likes

Only watched Two Lane Blacktop fairly recently, I thought it had some kind of creepy baggage in it. I guess that mightn’t have been so apparent at the time. It certainly had some of that early 70s road movie vibe that makes you nostalgic for something you never experienced.

3 Likes

When I was around 18 or 19, younger British female teenagers - and pre-teens (perhaps more so) - would wet their knickers over these guys.

I gather they had some US top ten hits. Not sure if this was one of them but it’s maybe what they are most remembered for here.

Bye Bye Baby, indeed.

10 Likes

For some reason, there were fans in Wichita, Kansas. Mainly this is the song they chose on the jukebox at Pizza Hut.

8 Likes

That may be the least appealing set of five words I’ve seen all week.

9 Likes

Trust me. Pizza Hut circa 1975 was good pizza. When they started to really branch out across the country is when it all went downhill, quickly replaced by Godfather’s Pizza. And you know, it followed suit several years later.

12 Likes

Herman Cain Smile GIF

10 Likes

Wow. Sixty-five is too young.

I love that my husband, who was never a fan, thought they were from Michigan. I was like, didn’t the clothes kind of tip you off? The tartan patterns? He said he never saw any photos of them.

(I wasn’t allowed to like them because I have older siblings, but I still get a wistful feeling whenever I hear Saturday Night.)

10 Likes

Umm, why Michigan (of all places)?

5 Likes

I think there is a Bay City, MI. (Still makes me laugh.)

10 Likes

Ah - makes some sense, I suppose. And my research reveals that you can tell him he was nearly correct! Things we never knew - amazing!

More successful now, the Saxons moved out of the Longmuirs’ back room to practise in Hermiston at a church. They played a couple of contemporary Kinks numbers but favoured American songs, including a new one: “C.C. Rider” by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels. Desiring a better name for the band, they settled on “Rollers”, but needed a more powerful American-sounding term in front of that. Derek Longmuir threw a dart at a map of the United States, landing first on Arkansas. This did not meet anyone’s approval, so a second dart was thrown. It landed near Bay City, Michigan. The band agreed on the name, the Bay City Rollers.[10]

4 Likes

Aha! I knew it! He was really a fan! :wink:

(He was puzzled by the use of their song in So I Married an Axe Murderer, so maybe he heard that story on the radio when he was twelve and got the facts mixed up?)

6 Likes

Even worse for me: The pasta at Olive Garden.

3 Likes

Thin and crispy, or thick and chewy? :thinking:

5 Likes

to me, peak pizza hut was the mid-80s priazzo which had a fantastic pair of crusts, different from any other dough they made, plus a deep and flavorful seasoning that went into the sauce. i actually cried when they discontinued it.

the manager at my hometown pizza hut gave me a box of seasoning packets that was leftover after the hut discontinued the product. i kept them in the freezer and used that to supplement the seasonings in our homemade pies for ten years afterwards.

6 Likes

I’m laughing right now, many miles south of “the thumb”.

5 Likes

IIRC, this was around the time T&C was introduced, so it was very popular (and tasted nothing like the pan pizzas they’ve had for years). I was outvoted most of the time, Thin & Crispy, by my two brothers. Sometimes my mom & dad would have to break the tie.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Well nuts. There goes our chance to do the Hump. Only 57, RIP.

14 Likes

I wonder whatever happened to this? (This was before the current BBS)

6 Likes