Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

And just like that Barbara Walters got bumped from heavy news rotation.

5 Likes

Now that part is a true shameā€¦

2 Likes
4 Likes

Iā€™m not a loyal fan of Walters but that article says she was buddies with Trump, maybe a long time ago but I donā€™t believe that friendship carried on to the end.

Iā€™m not defending her, Iā€™m not even all that familiar with her behind the scenes stuff, only her work on the news, prime time interviews and a little bit of The View when she would make headlines.

And part of her 1990 interview with him called him out for his bs with his finances and not being all that great of a dad.

And that time she interviewed Kissinger.

And while weā€™re at it, that time she brought in the new year 20/20.

2 Likes

In a 2008 memoir, Walters revealed that Cohn managed to get an arrest warrant filed against her father dismissed, and her gratitude was such that she dated the closeted Cohn while at college, and remained an ardent friend, even testifying as a character witness in 1986 when Cohn was disbarred for ā€œunethical and unprofessional conduct, including misappropriation of clientsā€™ funds, lying on a bar application, and pressuring a client to amend his will.ā€

4 Likes

I definitely prefer this review of her career from 2013 presented as the alternative in that article. To say that I am appalled at the haterade being served puts it mildly. However, I remain completely unsurprised that women who are resented for having successful careers when they are alive bring out the dismissive and disrespectful comments when they die. At least the folks doing it and publishing/promoting it are showing us who they are. :woman_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Whereā€™d You Go Bernadette

4 Likes

Sadly everything was not always great back in the day. I have always been really bothered by the treatment of Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand) on the Original Series. While she did return in the movies she was basically forced out in season 1 for being sexually assaulted by a producer.

5 Likes

How fitting.

1 Like

This was from Octoberā€¦ I saw the Mingus Big Band in the late '90s, and I sat right in front of (like 6 feet away from) Ronnie Cuber. He kicked things off for them with this:

Many people mightā€™ve heard him without realizing it ā€“ he played on the J. Geilā€™s Bandā€™s Freeze Frame album, so thatā€™s surely his bari sax riff near the end of the title track (after 3:22 or so):

7 Likes

I get this. Anyone at her level of importance and influence and skill and and ā€œbreak the barriersā€-ness is going to have a legacy with elements that divide people. For every Corey Feldman interview and Roy Cohn defense, sheā€™s opened a path for uncountable (literally in the truest sense of the word) women into the industry. And there are many, many male journalists whoā€™ve done the same, and worse. What she did for journalism was good for women and men, and for journalism. It made the profession better. Objectively so, in my opinion. Other things were very very bad. Any accounting that doesnā€™t take both into account, in the same space, is not doing anyone any good.

IMO, of course.

5 Likes
12 Likes

More on Barbara Walters from her colleaguesā€¦

ā€¦and on her legacy as a trailblazer in broadcast journalism:

4 Likes

The drumming on this song is iconicā€¦

13 Likes

People who passed in 2022:

7 Likes

Oh noā€¦

I know her from her collabs with RTJā€¦ including this, which subverts gender roles (listen to the end)ā€¦

Andā€¦

RIPā€¦

8 Likes

Drummers having a bad week.

11 Likes

Damn

4 Likes
12 Likes
5 Likes