Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

… per Nixon’s orders, perhaps to stop Ellsberg from revealing this (given his access to numerous sensitive docs):

4 Likes

https://archive.ph/I6Xcb

10 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

Dave Wilkes, Youth team coach at Carlisle United since the early 90s (except between 2002-05)

He did all the hard work with John Halpin when Michael Knighton declared himself manager-chairman, then quietly went back to being head of youth development. He was there when I was working for Carlisle United.

3 Likes

Oh, man… we had just listened to him last Sunday, as we usually do on Sunday afternoons. I’d been listening to him since we moved to the DC area 20+ years ago. His show is one reason why our oldest kid is into Sinatra & Tony Bennett.

(From wpfwfm.org)

WPFW News

Reshaping The American Songbook: A Tribute to Donnie McKethan - 7/4

IMG 4694
It is with a profoundly heavy heart that we announce the passing of Donnie McKethan. Donnie became an ancestor on Monday, June 19. His Sunday program, The American Songbook, was one of the most beloved. Donnie was a stellar WPFW Jazz programmer for over 20 years, and always a consummate gentleman! WPFW offers condolences to his family, friends and many listeners. In his honor, WPFW presents Reshaping The American Songbook: A Tribute to Donnie McKethan., on Tuesday, July 4, 5am until 8pm.

9 Likes

Never get out of the boat.

7 Likes

This guy is an absolute legend. Crank up Machine Gun or his band with Sonny Sharrock, Bill Laswell and Shannon Jackson Last Exit. Or his metal excursions with his son. I had the pleasure of seeing him live a few years ago. I feel like two but maybe 2017 then. He was blinding then.

9 Likes

For those who don’t wish to take the trouble to look it up

5 Likes

Also, there is a post on this, but…

10 Likes

Mr. Volkov later reckoned that, in all, 30 of his relatives were killed or disappeared by Stalin’s regime or, like his mother, took their own lives. He was soon sent to Mexico to join his grandfather, who called him Esteban in the Spanish-speaking country.

[Did not know this about Siqueiros]

Gunmen, reportedly led by Mexican muralist and Stalinist sympathizer David Alfaro Siqueiros, broke through the security team and riddled Trotsky’s bedroom with bullets from automatic weapons.

Just months later, on Aug. 20, Mr. Volkov had returned home from school when he saw Trotsky bleeding to death but still standing defiantly in the arms of his bodyguards and his wife, Natalia Sedova.

“Keep the boy away. He shouldn’t see this!” he recalled his grandfather shouting

9 Likes

Confirmation.

3 Likes

That’s awful… At least his family and friends have closure now.

7 Likes
9 Likes

(ETA: Well I looked for it before I posted, but now I see that @hecep had beat me to it)

8 Likes

He was fantastic and milked every ounce of Aaron Sorkin’s marvelous writing with his small role as Bernard Thatch, a staffer from the WH visitor’s office on The West Wing.

“C.J., your necklace is a monument to bourgeois taste.” :joy:

I believe he returned once more and had a dust up with Charlie.

7 Likes

:sob:

Rest in Power!

12 Likes
8 Likes

Oh, man. Murray in Slums of Beverly Hills. George Kraft in Mother Night.

9 Likes

Dr. Oatman in Grosse Pointe Blank.

11 Likes