Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

9 Likes

IIRC the same company owns American Greetings & Carlton, and has filed for bankruptcy. But yeah, for now, only the Papyrus stores are shutting down.

4 Likes

I’m constantly battling Fox News watching colleagues who keep pointing to how great the stock market and the unemployment rate are doing, and this is exactly the kind of distinction I point out to them: people and organizations that already have capital have to invest it somewhere – and heaven forfend any company invest in infrastructure, research, or job creation when the tax code rewards them for being rentiers instead – and everyone else still has to buy essentials like food and gas to get between their 2-3 jobs, but ‘luxury’ goods like replacing household appliances or buying fancy $8 cards are where you can see that the supposed affluence numbers start to show their true limits.

People might still buy $2-3 cards at the drug store or Target (American Greetings, for example), but the high-end Papyrus cards are now beyond the budget of the vast majority of people here.

12 Likes
12 Likes

I’m not even a fan or follower of sportsball and that’s still a holly shit moment for me to read that.

10 Likes

At last night’s game, after achieving 3rd for points scored and passing Kobe for career points, all Lebron James could talk about in the post-game interview was Kobe.

8 Likes

The real heartbreaking thing about that is that Kobe’s last tweet was a sincere congratulations to Lebron.

Even more heartbreaking is that Kobe’s 13 year old daughter was with him in the helicopter.

6 Likes

The one Papyrus store near me is in a high rent area where one off retailers are dropping like flies. Greedy landlords aren’t helping anybody’s business plan. I’m guessing that this is not an unusual occurrence these days where Papyrus stores are concerned.

I’m sure AF not going to be buying a $25 greeting card to make up for high rent.

If there is a Dead Celebrity here it’s retail for all the reasons you mentioned and more.

7 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

This one’s really sad, I’m going to miss his gentle humour.

7 Likes

Looks like Mr Peanut gets a stay of execution.

16 Likes

12 Likes

But he should say them again for people who haven’t played the game before…

7 Likes

No repetition!! :wink:

7 Likes

No deviation!

6 Likes
5 Likes

But you’ve probably seen him a lot more than that.

6 Likes

In his whole acting career (1962-89), Bossk was his only named role.

4 Likes
11 Likes