Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Another giant. (More specifically, another giant from Philly.)

I got to see him a couple (or so) years ago, at the Library of Congress. Joe Lovano was part of the group. Tyner was offstage for a good portion of the set, and seemed physically feeble when he did come out, shuffling over to the piano. But when he started playing - o gracious! - like thunder! It’s not as though he was crashing his hands down from on high; his fingers were just above the keys. But when he played - BAM!

(This is around the time I started piano lessons, myself - the kids’ instructor gives a discount to parents)

From LoC’s archives - generally, when they have a concert, they display some relevant documents/artifacts:

7 Likes
12 Likes

There’s your Wilford Brimley number: von Sydow was 43 in The Exorcist.

What a legend, though.

5 Likes

(Had to look that up)
Gracious, I’d made that observation about Von Sydow but didn’t realize I’m now older than Brimley when he filmed Cocoon.

5 Likes

I’m 46, guess I’ll stick to exorcising my own demons.

8 Likes

Watch him in The Magician. He does everything with his eyes; quite mesmerizing!

3 Likes

giphy (14)

9 Likes

It’s been awhile, but I recall reading in “GULP” by Mary Roach, that toilet deaths are not that uncommon; depending on your cardio-heath, straining too much during BM has led to heart attacks.

8 Likes

It is indeed common. I have known many people who have died on the toilet.

People hear Elvis died on the toilet and they think “that’s weird”, because they think it’s a weird way to die. It is, but not because he died on the toilet. He died of Hirschsprung’s disease, and back then it was very uncommon for someone with Hirschsprung’s to live that long.

5 Likes

I think more commonly aneurysms. I know at least two people who died that way.

3 Likes

Oh. Um, wow. Sad!

I recently got into the elevated feet squatty potty thing. Definitely almost no straining now.

2 Likes
8 Likes

Still more animated than Ed O’Neill.

5 Likes
13 Likes

Ingesting more fluids also helps.

2 Likes

He was the weakest link in that incredible ensemble cast, but it’s hard to hold a candle to Carol Burnett and Tim Conway, especially.

5 Likes

I enjoyed him more in Wonder Woman where being handsome but alas a trifle bland was fairly appropriate.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Harvey Korman wasn’t bad either.

7 Likes

The ONLY Steve Trevor IMHO.

4 Likes