Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

I only learned about this today:

6 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes

The second member of the 1966 World Cup winning squad to die in a week. Peter Bonetti probably didn’t die from Covid-19 though. We don’t have a starting 11 anymore.

9 Likes

From his Wikipedia article:

In the late 1960s, Grimes’s career came to a halt after his move to California. It was commonly assumed Grimes had died; he was listed as such in several jazz reference works. Then Marshall Marrotte, a social worker and jazz fan, set out to discover Grimes’s fate once and for all. In 2002, he found Grimes alive but nearly destitute, without a bass to play, renting a tiny apartment in Los Angeles, California, writing poetry and doing odd jobs to support himself. He had fallen out of touch with the jazz world and was unaware Albert Ayler had died in 1970, but was eager to perform again.

10 Likes
9 Likes

It’s hard to believe it’s already been 10 years.

8 Likes
7 Likes

As someone who saw him a number of times on the stage, I agree: he should have played Lear.

8 Likes
11 Likes

Five years ago, but I happened to think of the person and just looked him up. Time was you could not pick up many 'zines without finding a “White Boy” either printed or tucked inside.

4 Likes

(wouldn’t onebox, ETA:)

8 Likes

Is this all Mardi Gras fallout?

2 Likes

I doubt it: except for Ellis Marsalis, I think most of these have been in and around New York. Saw this today, and posted in another thread:

6 Likes

I know there’s also Jazz Fest (well, not this year), but I wondered if there wasn’t a big jazz scene around Mardi Gras as well that it might have spread back to NYC.

2 Likes

Ah, the caffeine’s not doing it for me today (again) and I hadn’t thought of it that way.

2 Likes

Non-Covid, as of these writings, but still a bad time for The Music:

ETA:

Maybe I should stop looking at WBGO…

6 Likes

This led the British astronomer Hoyle to propose, in 1954, that the big bang only made the three lightest elements, hydrogen, helium and lithium, and that stars made all the rest. Over a two-year period, 1955-56, the Burbidges and Fowler then gathered a wealth of evidence in support of Hoyle’s theory. These included astronomical observations taken by Margaret of the elemental abundances, and the laboratory measurements of nuclear reactions gathered by Fowler.

15 Likes

I’ve taught Chemistry for the last few semesters and have had students do projects on the origins of earth elements - I’ll have to share this with them. I love being able to give examples of women kicking ass, challenging establishments, and taking names in science.

15 Likes

Wasn’t it a woman who discovered the classification/lifecycle of stars too?
Her name escapes me right now.

9 Likes