Dead Celebrity (Part 2)

But also:

4 Likes

Yeah, what a roller coaster.

4 Likes

Both had the same concept.

1 Like
6 Likes

loved him in Enterprise, Alien Nation and even Robot Jox.

Saddened upon his death to find out he was hardcore maga and a contributor to brietbart.

7 Likes
2 Likes

I love that song. Here’s a great version where she talks about how the song came to be.

This is from the mid 90s.

A recent and fun version with Todd Rundgren

And a great version of another favorite.

3 Likes
4 Likes

There’s a quality to her tone in that song that makes me think of Buffy Saint Marie.

1 Like

I can hear that. A Vic Chesnutt fan site posted it as one of his favorite songs, and I can hear that too.

1 Like

Ned Beatty couldn’t be reached for comment. /dh

1 Like

Fred Chappell, Admired but Unsung Writer of the South, Dies at 87

He wrote lyrical poetry and novels about life in North Carolina’s Appalachian Piedmont and was considered the South’s “premier contemporary person of letters.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/25/books/fred-chappell-dead.html

3 Likes

N. Scott Momaday, a Pulitzer Prize-winning storyteller, poet, educator and folklorist whose debut novel “House Made of Dawn” is widely credited as the starting point for contemporary Native American literature, has died. He was 89.

Momaday died Wednesday at his home in Santa Fe, New Mexico, publisher HarperCollins announced. He had been in failing health.

“Scott was an extraordinary person and an extraordinary poet and writer. He was a singular voice in American literature, and it was an honor and a privilege to work with him,” Momaday’s editor, Jennifer Civiletto, said in a statement. “His Kiowa heritage was deeply meaningful to him and he devoted much of his life to celebrating and preserving Native American culture, especially the oral tradition."

“House Made of Dawn,” published in 1968, tells of a World War II soldier who returns home and struggles to fit back in, a story as old as war itself: In this case, home is a Native community in rural New Mexico. Much of the book was based on Momaday’s childhood in Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico, and on his conflicts between the ways of his ancestors and the risks and possibilities of the outside world.

9 Likes

brb, gonna watch Love & Mercy

5 Likes
4 Likes

I wasn’t very familiar with his work, but he had incredible talent.

6 Likes

An interview with Chita Rivera from last year (includes her career highlights):

RIP

8 Likes

:sob:

10 Likes

8 Likes