Dead Celebrity (Part 2)

slapshot

8 Likes

Coach and chief punk of the Syracuse Bulldogs. RIP Paul.

6 Likes

From wiki: (John) Byrne modeled his rendition of Wolverine on actor Paul D’Amato, who played Dr. Hook in the 1977 sports film Slap Shot.

8 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes

“But I’ve never heard myself sing!”

4 Likes

Dang, had no idea until now.

10 Likes

Screenshot_20240222-195806

nyt no paywall

15 Likes

I don’t know if an audience would put up with 4-minute aria, uncut in the middle of a chase movie today. But it was a mesmerizing performance.

4 Likes

Oh no! I didn’t know about this either. I was just listening to him the other day and wondering how he was doing.

My brother-in-law frequently collaborated with McCann and always had great stories to tell about him, and a treasure trove of funny quotes like “ain’t nothing worse than a white man in a dashiki”.

6 Likes

That sounds like the basis for a guest BB post…

happy homer simpson GIF

8 Likes

Wilson Fittipaldi Jr, F1 driver and brother of Emerson Fittipaldi

9 Likes

Here’s one from my youth and days of watching Hee Haw. The First Lady of Banjo and one of 23 kids.

The whole family was crazy talented.

12 Likes

Well this was almost 4 years ago, but I just saw it:

(That looks like Perla Batalla & Julie Christensen joining with everyone else in the video, so I wonder if this was the same episode with Leonard Cohen? Man, I took Night Music for granted while it was on…)

5 Likes

I’ve never watched Coronation Street but he was a very well-known character actor, recognised for many other roles (mostly earlier in his career, though).

3 Likes

RIP, Flaco! :sob:

14 Likes
2 Likes

He played when Carlisle United got their biggest shock result ever.

The “hitting the FA Cup with a ball” story also started at Carlisle. A rivalry between us and Sunderland had started because we were both in the old second division, they weren’t playing against Newcastle regularly and we weren’t playing against Workington (who were still in the Football League back then).

6 Likes
3 Likes

RIP

10 Likes