Dead Celebrity (Part 2)

He was a pretty serious alcoholic, which is a known carcinogen.

9 Likes

Did not realize that, thanks. Definitely a longer term risk factor.

5 Likes

Also, considering how much a lot of his claims made in Super Size Me later came under scrutiny, including whether he actually even did eat McDonalds every day during that period, I doubt that had anything to do with it. He also outed himself as an abuser when the MeToo movement picked up steam, revealing multiple infidelities, harassment lawsuits from former employees, and a rape allegation from his college days. So while I’m glad that documentary got McDonald’s to eliminate super sizing, it doesn’t seem like he was the best person in the world, although I guess he at least felt remorse about his past behavior.

10 Likes

I have a tendency to not pay attention to stories about famous people in the arts, because I think the art is what matters, not the person, but clearly I would have had a very different read on this guy had I known all of that.

5 Likes
9 Likes
3 Likes

TIL: Father Al Sherman wrote “You Gotta Be a Football Hero”

10 Likes

That guy got a lot of my cash in the 80s because I loved my girlfriend who became my wife.

They were an easy gift that she loved. They’re all on a shelf in our hallway.

Side note, I built that cabinet into the wall when Old Man Harry the cat busted the head off my wife’s favorite Hummel to play with when he was a kitten.

She cried but she forgave him.

12 Likes
12 Likes

season 9 helen feesh GIF

homer simpson GIF

18 Likes

Anytime I hear a snippet of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, my brain simultaneously takes me to The Simpsons and Manhunter.

12 Likes

For the full effect… :smiley:

The Simpsons - In the Garden of Eden

MGP Cycling

8 Likes
11 Likes

Also for the full effect :wink:

4 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes

Ah! RIP!

portland trail blazers hello GIF by NBA

8 Likes
7 Likes

While being against the war in Vietnam would put him in the mainstream today, that was not the case in 1970, particularly during a period when the Nixon administration used athletes and coaches as symbols of patriotism and the war effort. For Walton, especially as a white athlete in the era of Muhammad Ali, to take such an anti-war stance was a big deal. But Vietnam was not the only issue that animated Walton. While Walton stymied James’s efforts to understand his radical politics of the 1970s, we should not forget what Walton stood for. The 1978 NBA MVP has a record of rebellion from which athletes—especially white athletes—can still learn.

10 Likes