Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

I missed this one, even though nobody in that scene would ever admit to being a “Celebrity.” 2020, the gift that keeps on giving.

4 Likes

Pierre wrote this one, beautiful song:

4 Likes
8 Likes

I was just about to post that… here is the Guardian’s story on his death:

Why was I thinking he already died? :thinking:

11 Likes

Would that some consideration of all the non-famous prison inmates dying of covid that they cannot avoid would go along with that.

2 Likes

A prodigious world class talent, and musical genius (what he did to ruin Let it Be notwithstanding). He brought us some wonderful music that has stood the test of time, and his influence brought us even better music from other artists (such as Pet Sounds). I am thankful for that.

Sadly, also legendary for his dangerous and unhinged antics well before he was finally convicted of murder, and well regarded as generally being a bag of dicks. As I once heard a musician say, “what’s not to like about Phil Spector, other than Phil Spector?”

10 Likes

Well, once I found out what a total shit he was, he became dead to me. :woman_shrugging:

17 Likes

Maybe that’s it for me, too!

14 Likes

Right? I’m glad he lived because of the music he made - and perhaps more importantly the music he inspired. The Beach Boys’ music of the mid 1960s was largely Brian Wilson’s (vastly superior IMO) interpretation of Spector’s wall of sound.

That being said, I’m not particularly saddened by his passing other than the general existential “sigh… another important music figure bites the dust and his living contemporaries aren’t going to be far behind”.

5 Likes

Well fuck.

10 Likes

Sad news, but a life well lived…

I’ve never been to Ossabaw Island, but it seems similar to Cumberland Island which was sold to the state by the Carnegie family in the 40s, I think…

Cumberland:

9 Likes
12 Likes

Too much too soon

1 Like

Not a celebrity at all, but another one of those back-room genius types responsible for so much of what we take for granted…

9 Likes

Damn. So many of that cast are now gone before their time.

6 Likes
13 Likes
8 Likes

She was so inspiring in her role as Delenn, bringing grace and wonder to the character.

Rest in peace.

6 Likes

Larry King

9 Likes

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/23/entertainment/gregory-sierra-obituary-trnd/index.html

12 Likes