Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

9 Likes

Oh no! That’s terrible news. I listen to her regularly on my mate’s podcast. She was excellent.

Beidh sí inár smoineamh agus inár gcroí.

4 Likes

The Guardian have a report, so it’s official now

:cry:

10 Likes
1 Like

Robson Rocha, Brazilian cartoonist, due to covid related effects.

5 Likes

Season 3 Ugh GIF by Parks and Recreation

14 Likes

Captain America Reaction GIF

Just FYI, I realize Captain America only represents a fictionalized USA, but I think this is appropriate because of his belief system.

ETA: Even more so now that Sam has taken up the shield.

16 Likes

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck! No! My fucking grandson knows who he is!!!

10 Likes

What ya mean, Biz Markie?

(“Just a friend” was the first track I heard from Biz, but this one was the first I thought of when I saw your post)

6 Likes

I was just coming here to post this.

Dammit.

RIP

9 Likes

Biz Markie Oh Snap GIF by MOODMAN

Popping Music Video GIF

10 Likes

Nobody beats the Biz…

9 Likes

She was awesome… I love those pictures of her with the national guard there, shoving the bayonet out of her face. This one…

So many badass Black women like her and Ella Baker who get left out of the American history of the long march to freedom.

Rest in power, Gloria.

22 Likes

the story of the role of black women in the civil rights movement has not received as much attention as it deserves. taylor branch did a decent job of bringing out the role of women during the bus boycott and after but his trilogy was centered on mlk and not the women of the movement. i think several tall bookshelves worth of books need writing.

10 Likes

And in other news, genius rapper who was not a garbage human passed away today. Let’s have a moment of funk fir Biz Markie.

“It’s beautiful because it means all eyes ain’t on me,” he added, “so when I do pop up they appreciate everything they see. It’s like the McRib sandwich. It’s like the flowers outside that turn white on the bushes. It comes around when it’s getting ready to be springtime. You appreciate it.”

4 Likes

I was busy last night and didn’t have a chance to come here and post but my wife told me the news and I was like fuuuuu. RIP to the Clown Prince of Hip-Hop. He was a legend and innovator. He may have been known for his comedy raps, but he was a serious artist.

3 Likes

To be fair, there has been a great deal of work on Black women in the movement… it just doesn’t get as much attention in public. Barbara Ransby wrote on Ella Baker, probably one of the most important women in the classical civil rights movement:

Danielle McGuire’s book rewrites the bus boycott based on the people who planned it and carried it out, meaning women:

Oh, and I love this book by Tera Hunter…

But yeah, the public doesn’t have this perception of the movement, because public history till tends towards “great man” history rather than either great woman or collective histories like these.

11 Likes

A few comments above yours…

1 Like

My post was moved here and grouped with others.

5 Likes

I see that now; mea culpa.

6 Likes